Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Oct 24, 2020 12:57 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Reality's End Classic :: Website

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
fuNkym0nky1092

Member #100

Jul 10, 2003 10:56
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Hi, Does anyone know where i can find a site to start up a web page for begginners and thats free? I need to make one for my gym and I've always wanted one......Thanx!:D
Oy my name is Mike And Link_10 you are not alone cause im 11 and i like the word "Oy".Oy!
MintMan

Member #1

Jul 10, 2003 15:54
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Angelfire and Geocities are pretty good. They are the simplest of the hosts out there.

I take it that you do not know FTP since you have never had a site before. There are a lot of hosts better than those two, but you need to know FTP in order to use them.
fuNkym0nky1092

Member #100

Jul 10, 2003 16:12

Ok, thanx! They are free thou, right? I hope so, cause when I went to tripod is wasnt.....And they were even givng a free tutorial to the members! Oh well. And I just realized, is that KeroKato on the opening page with the bullfrog and the poliwhirl on it? Thanx again!
Oy my name is Mike And Link_10 you are not alone cause im 11 and i like the word "Oy".Oy!
LieutenantEagle

Member #27

Jul 10, 2003 18:35
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Good day, "Mike." Welcome to the reel world. (hint hint, Neo he say, "Stop trying to hit me and hit me. Morpheus, he just put him in a very very bad program. Welcome to the reel world.");
  (big hint? "we here at Reality's End" know kung fu.)

Who am I, you ask? Well...basically, I am still the kid who's playing kung fu in "Reality's End." But..my name is Aragorn, and my fate is my own. Are you still willing to join "us here at Reality's End (my name is D'Artagnan, you silly girl)"?
LieutenantEagle

President of the SMFC
  Super Mario Fan Club
  -------------------------
  Did you know that if you put all the economics teachers in the world you would still not come to a definite conclusion?
fuNkym0nky1092

Member #100

Jul 10, 2003 18:44

Woah,that was confusing. Are your post always like that?Lol. Im not sure I understood what you just said....Is it that you nguys all know alot about programming? Thats my guess cuz ive seen both movies..... Hey, Im not that dumb about programming.... I used to play an online rpg where you could build your own house and put it online. You could put in like doors that need passwords and stuff, so I would like put ifplayersays;password;door opens, so that could be a little boost.... I think.....Thanx thou, but im not sure that that helped........

[Editted by fuNkym0nky1092 on Jul 10, 2003 23:49]
VinnyD

Member #9

Jul 10, 2003 23:08
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Wow, if I didn't like this kids signature enough already and then with comments like that......ugh the rookies do lay waste to this forum.
Teamsters, so lazy and surly..
  Homer

Check it, and give me tips too cause i suck
  http://angelfire.com/gundam/vinnyd/index.html
MintMan

Member #1

Jul 11, 2003 10:24
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

No, not all of his posts are like that. Camo's the dude for stuff like that. I sure after being here for, oh, and hour you'll run into, like, ninety of his posts.

Man, I keep forgetting to expand the membership of the Elite Member's forum. I mean, all the people who begged for it more or less left without putting much into it. I can think of a lot of people now who could put it to good use....
fuNkym0nky1092

Member #100

Jul 11, 2003 10:38

Darn me and my stupid replies! Ok, now that I know I dont have to have signature, I deleted it..... Thanx for all the help guys! Im going to sign up at Angelfire and have my dad teach me some html, if its free....Oh, and, I hope your ear feels better MintMan!

[Editted by fuNkym0nky1092 on Jul 11, 2003 15:40]

[Editted by fuNkym0nky1092 on Jul 11, 2003 15:41]
SailorSassyStar

Member #19

Jul 11, 2003 14:10
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

http://www.lissaexplains.com/intro.shtml

I know that it's pretty, but it's a good site that makes it easy to make a web page. Ignore the butterflies, flowers, and turles, skip to the basics and you'll be well on your way to making a worth while webpage. Ummm... That sounded way to happy, so I'll stop now.
~*SailorSassyStar*~
  VanillaFudge

fuNkym0nky1092

Member #100

Jul 11, 2003 17:29

Thanx for all the help guys! Now Im gonna explore a bunch of em and find the best one! Thanx again!:D
Lugia7777

Member #79

Jul 12, 2003 19:45
Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

One more thing...

Use CSS Positioning rather than tables. Tables take a huge amount of time to render on the page, and CSS is cleaner than all of those bloated td and tr tags. Also, code in XHTML. It encourages compatibility with more browsers. Finally, you should try to go to Glish.com for some CSS code that you can steal/use (yes, the webmaster of that site said so at the home page). If you want, take a look at my source code for my web site here.

Hope that helps!

[Editted by Lugia7777 on Jul 12, 2003 24:46]
fuNkym0nky1092

Member #100

Jul 12, 2003 20:08

Thanx for the help Lugia! That will help lots!
MintMan

Member #1

Jul 13, 2003 22:58

Not so fast, Lugia. Sure, CSS goes faster, but only for compatible browsers. Some older ones are not all too keen on some of the Style Sheet features, and positioning can often lead to some horrible results. Know those pages with images covering text and links where they should not be? It's cause somebody didn't anticipate other browsers lookin' at it differently!

Not to mention some idiots use that options to purposely disable all style sheets on a page, thus rendering to complete butt.

XHTML also seems a bit advanced for a beginner. A good idea, sure, but one that might prove a tad tricky.
Lugia7777

Member #79

Jul 13, 2003 23:58
Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Whoops. I forgot to mention that I didn't use position:absolute in my CSS document. Instead, I used float:left to position my navigation bar. This means that even though some crappy browser visits my site, at least my page will look something like this:

1. Mystic City Pokemon Center
  2. Navigation area
  3. News for site
  4. Battling Dragons

So, um, yeah, I take the positioning thing back. If you truly want cross-browser compatibility and if you really don't care how your page looks without the styles, then use float:left. That way, even though the browser doesn't know that stylesheet rule, at least your page is still usable.

Actually, XHTML is just a matter of keeping your HTML tags lower-case, since XML, the advanced form of XHTML, is case-sensitive, and making sure that tags that don't have ending tags such as br must end with />, with a space between the last letter of the tag and the forward slash. In addition, attributes that aren't usually enclosed in quotation marks have to be put in quotation marks, like this: blah="blah". Furthermore, XHTML needs to have the page's DOCTYPE and XHTML's XML Namespace explicitly declared (in reality, the last two requirements aren't too hard to obtain; just go to www.w3.org and look around for the required stuff).

So, in other words, XHTML encourages people to develop cleaner HTML, rather than the horrible HTML produced during the browser wars of 1996-2000.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Hmmm... all that requirements for XHTML might be a little too much. Meh, just go to www.w3.org and look around for the XHTML 1.1 specification. Search for DOCTYPE and XML Namespace withing that document, and you'll find what you're looking for.

[Editted by Lugia7777 on Jul 14, 2003 5:06]
fuNkym0nky1092

Member #100

Jul 14, 2003 16:10

Ok, thanx again everybody!

MintMan

Member #1

Jul 15, 2003 1:05

Oh, float. Yeah, that attribute rocks. I use it all the time. The old Reality's End layout (and I mean old) used it to position the sidebars. It especially rocks to set on images inside of text blocks.
  I got rid of it when I saw how extra-messed up it made me look on some browsers.

Yeah, I know what XHTML is. I gots a thick book on it. Never much felt like converting all of my HTML into it, however, since I have so very many pages that would need converted.
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
Oct 24, 2020 12:57 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2020