Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Apr 23, 2024 10:30 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Reality's End Classic :: OS's... Which is better?

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
Ash10

Member #3

Jun 5, 2003 12:13
Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Well, in the layout thread, we got on to topic of OS's. So, I decided to make a topic for it.

What os do you like and think is the best so far?
Nova Mod Team Generals Coder
Lugiatrainer

Member #20

Jun 5, 2003 15:14
Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

ones that aren't Macs.
MintMan

Member #1

Jun 5, 2003 21:28
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

True dat. Macs are the epitomy of suck.

I use Windows. I prefer pre-XP -- at least in layout. I just cannot stand that round, bubbly look. It cannot help processing speed...

UNIX is cool too, tho'. You gotta give them props; just about any web server uses it. I really should get some Red Hat or something. I know that would make my dust-collecting MUD a slight easier to work with.
Lugia7777

Member #79

Jun 5, 2003 23:09
Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Same here. I prefer old-school Windows 98. I give some props to Windows XP for valiantly making an attempt to conbine the Windows 2000 code into a desktop OS. Macs actually do have their place in image and movie making, since Photoshop and all Adobe products are actually made for Macs.
TheAnaconda

Member #15

Jun 6, 2003 11:26
Web Site Master Account R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Supposedly somewhere in the crazy Windows XP you can change everything to look like the old Windows. That's the way several XP computers are set up at my school.

Lugiatrainer

Member #20

Jun 6, 2003 14:26
Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Yeah, right click on the desktop, select "Properties" and then change the theme to "Windows Classic"
MintMan

Member #1

Jun 7, 2003 1:06
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Oh, that is how I have mine set up; believe you me.

I just fear that fruity bubbly look might be some wretched wave of the future.
  Would not that suck.... hard?

I will say one thing about XP: where is its JScript safeguarding? If a faulty script ever ran under 98, it would alert you to a never ending loop and ask if you wanted to end it manually. XP just lets it run and run and run -- feh! I had one hundred percent resources running to a faulty script, and I just kept waiting for it to shut itself down, but it never did. I eventually had to Ctrl-Alt-Del it. Making me press three buttons simultaneously. Feh
Lugiatrainer

Member #20

Jun 7, 2003 6:19

I use Ctrl-Alt-Delete too much, I have a few programs that take FAR too long to shut down any other way

NuoTrainer

Member #33

Jun 10, 2003 23:42
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Sometimes when GIMP crashes I have to use CTRL-ALT-DEL to get rid of the extra processes it left running as it died ^^;
  Otherwise, yeah - WinXP, minus freakish window theme, plus cool-looking ALTIMIT wallpaper, and no more Blue Screen of Doom; life is good ^.^
  Only problems came when trying to run the REALLY old crap I still have around, but that didn't bother me so much...
Anta ga otosh'ta no wa Kin no Ono ka na?
SailorSassyStar

Member #19

Jun 11, 2003 20:39
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Don't get me started on ctrl+alt+del! When I last had computer class it would take me so long just to long in because it kept blocking me and rejecting my password. By the time I got logged on everyone else was already done with their daily typing practice. Then when working on our projects things would be going fine, and just as I'm about to save I get frozen. It wasn't just once either. I think the teacher thought that I was just doing something wrong at first, but he couldn't even fix it. Most of the time ctrl_alt+del does nothing for me, but make things worse. Now I'm always so paraniod that I save after practically every sentence when I'm typing up a paper.
~*SailorSassyStar*~
  VanillaFudge

Spidermew

Member #89

Jun 13, 2003 24:39
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Well i guess that makes me the odd man out, cuz i love macs allot more then windows! and im pissed that im stuck on one now, you dont need ctl-alt-delete on macs, apple . is al you need (thats apple and the . button)
  and you dont have to reach your fingers to f4 to close windows, apple w will do it, and that round look, is very pleasing on the eyes, it donst make me feal like i have to plug in to the bill gates world of conformity
  and if the computer crashes, it fixes it self allot faster, and they start up faster, and tend to have better graphics sence there made to be artistic, so we artsy types like me need them, cuz you get a very powerfull art program with it. the art on this windows computer sucks....
  and i feal deprived of editing mecha and whatnot...
  the big downside to mac's is that they dont make hardly any programs for it, like kazza or anythign like that, you cant find it for macs...
SpiderMew, The Super Hero PoKeMon

Lugiatrainer

Member #20

Jun 13, 2003 24:45

Yeah, macs may look nice... I still hate 'em
SailorSassyStar

Member #19

Jun 13, 2003 14:09

I'm an apple person too. Other than the fact that none of the programs I want work on them I like 'em alot better than windows. It might be because I grew up on them, but still. I have an older Mac that's probably about...hmmm...8 years old and it starts up faster than windows and freezes less. If it had the internet on it I'd say heck with the Dell, but it doesn't. What can you do? Oh well, this should make you feel better about computers, at least for a little while.
  This is what computers are supposed to do!

~*SailorSassyStar*~
  VanillaFudge

TheAnaconda

Member #15

Jun 22, 2003 19:07
Web Site Master Account R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

On Jun 11, 2003 4:43, NuoTrainer said:

...WinXP, minus freakish window theme, plus cool-looking ALTIMIT wallpaper, and no more Blue Screen of Doom...

I've seen a Blue Screen of Death in Windows XP. Heck, I've seen a Blue Screen of Death in Windows 3.1 (Now THAT was interesting... I'll have to dig up the picture for you all).

Well, I appear to break even with computers. Back when I had my old computer , it would crash literally one out of every three boots. With my new computer, it NEVER crashes (unless I do something to crash it on purpouse).

It's interesting, though, because they are the same line of computer - a Hewlett Packard Vectra VL. It's amazing the differences in a computer line that is supposed to be more or less the same.

[Editted by TheAnaconda on Jun 22, 2003 24:14]
NuoTrainer

Member #33

Jun 24, 2003 3:50

On Jun 22, 2003 24:08, TheAnaconda said:

I've seen a Blue Screen of Death in Windows XP. Heck, I've seen a Blue Screen of Death in Windows 3.1 (Now THAT was interesting... I'll have to dig up the picture for you all).

Well, I appear to break even with computers. Back when I had my old computer , it would crash literally one out of every three boots. With my new computer, it NEVER crashes (unless I do something to crash it on purpouse).

It's interesting, though, because they are the same line of computer - a Hewlett Packard Vectra VL. It's amazing the differences in a computer line that is supposed to be more or less the same.

; You saw that 3v1l screen in XP? That had to be one messed up program you were running...

I know lots of fun ways to screw up a 386 running DOS and Win3.1 though; just give it a file with a space in its name (by zipping one on a modern PC, then transferring the disk and unzipping). Since DOS doesn't allow spaces, it refuses to believe the file exists, so the only way to kill it is by a
del *.*
^^ So fun...

Cheetarius

Member #10

Jul 9, 2003 16:37
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

LOL. I had Win 3.1 a LOOOONG time ago, that thing was so funny...My cousins used to play WarCraft II on it, and the amazing thing? It didn't crash for them. I always wondered how my stepfather kept that computer alive as long as he did. Ah, but now, it's the sweet life for me: a Pent3 with WinXP. Oh drat, that rhymed...sorta...
- Cheetarius, Saphire Leader
VinnyD

Member #9

Jul 9, 2003 23:32
Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I'm buying a new computer for myself and noone else soon. You want to know why? Because I'f I see windows 98's endless blue screen of death on more time I'll slit the next 500 ppl I see's throats. That is the anger. Hells fury is only unlocked through the vision of that screen. I actually broke a keyboard, mouse, and speaker after a blue screen. This computer, If I stay online too long, will go to blue screen, which will not restart or bring me back to windows. The next time It turns on, whether or not you ran scandisk, all but the pointer will freeze, and pressing those damn mothrrerngghbnfdofiding keys will only unlock the windows is busy blue screen, then any button or action will unlock the unstable system blue screen! THEN DARKNESS SURROUNDS YOU!!!AND YOU KNOW IT IS TOO LATE, FOR THERE IS A 50/50 CHANCE THE NEXT TIME YOU TURN ON THE COMPUTER THIS WILL HAPPEN AGAIN, AND MY MOM SAYS SHE'LL BUY A NEW ONE WHEN THIS ONE DIES, BUT IT ALREADY HAS ALONG WITH MY SOUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And don't get me started on macs..........
Teamsters, so lazy and surly..
  Homer, Simpsons.
NuoTrainer

Member #33

Jul 10, 2003 2:53

Your computer was eaten by a grue, wasn't it?
  I say your best bet is the old "3rd story window" solution ^^
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
Apr 23, 2024 10:30 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022