Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Apr 19, 2024 12:42 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Reality's End Classic :: Checking in...

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
msanis

Member #7

May 26, 2003 13:26
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Heya everybody, I JUST finished making my FIRST GAME. It's all pretty and shiny...

well, anyway. My game is simple, a small little talk with a god.. and then into the battle simulator. Basically a little test to see if i could do it. I decided to make it today because... i just figured out how to do random effects.. (which is neccesary for an rpg.)

The battle is simple, you fight a small dragon who's stats are (mostly) lower than yours, but still of some challenge (because of high attack and spell power). It still has a bug or two, and i guess i should clean up the words a bit... but it is in reality pretty much done...

I uh... was only able to keep it in ms-dos format sadly, because i don't know how to do anything else yet. But for a first try im pretty proud of it .

oh, took two hours to make btw... now i have a slight understanding of why minty takes so long in making new additions...

Off of that topic, I finished Golden sun two, and am now not mad but a little sad, there's no to be contiued, but... there is a "THE END"

I still think there may be another sequel, but those two words always freak me out in a series of games.
The insignia of the Apocalypse engraved upon his blade. the day approaches...
MintMan

Member #1

May 27, 2003 14:36
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

You are wrong about random effects for an RPG. You can make one without any randomization whatsoever; it is simply just much harder to keep the game interesting. Typically more strategy-based games use predictable systems since there are so many factors to consider. Randomization, as I have seen in many small developer's games, can be a downfall. I once played a game that, no matter how hard you tried, you could not live at certain times due soley to the fact that enemy damage was randomized too high. Quite unfair....

Hey, do not downplay MS-DOS games. My first game was like that, too. It was a little diddy called Cessation. You wandered a dungeon, encountering monsters or items in every room. It was completely unrandomized, since that was on-topic. You only had Life, Strength, and Agility (which doubled as defense when using the Defend command, like a dodge of sorts).
  I had big plans for the game, like allies and much, much more level, but it was on my really old computer when the whole thing got buggered.
  Feh! You cannot save on disk to be safe; you cannot save on your hard drive to be safe; where can your files be safe at? I have lost more games to corruption than possibly anyone else in the programming world.
msanis

Member #7

May 27, 2003 19:08
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

It would suck to lose programs that way considering how much time is put into making even smaller ones...

I think you got the idea about my randomization a little off, let me explain...

For example, the Small-Dragon has three attacks; standard attack, blast, and fieryblast.
  I made the most powerful attack (fieryblast) appear the least, I made blast occur a little more often, The standard attack appears the most often. Although... My code is still a little buggy so it blasts almost all the time... i'll have to check why it does that later...

I would at least (when i make the actual game) want to insert some bitmaps... i know some people who can draw pretty well, of course... I have absolutely no idea how display bitmaps, so it is pretty pointless to ask for drawings at this point
  Uh... wait a sec... i just remembered, those guys may be able to draw the Phoenix for me! Although... the drawings are probably about all i could do (if at all). Well, i'll have to ask 'em next time i happen to see them. The guy draws in anime style though, so im not sure if he could really draw it either...

[Editted by msanis on Jun 1, 2003 2:19]
NuoTrainer

Member #33

May 28, 2003 18:34
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

What language do you use? If it's an old DOS compiler it probably has tons of resources still out there somewhere to help with your graphics-including...

Anta ga otosh'ta no wa Kin no Ono ka na?
msanis

Member #7

May 31, 2003 21:06

Oh I didn't mention what language i use?

Just some simple C++ source code...

Oh btw, i made another version of my game using if statements, it seems that is a bit more reliable than the random number idea...

Honestly, all it is at this point is a talk with one of the main characters, a test battle, and a little look into the story line...
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
Apr 19, 2024 12:42 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022