Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Mar 28, 2024 16:30 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Battling Dragons :: The next adoption/Gaps in the research

-   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2 
FKA_Foshi

Member #508

Oct 11, 2018 18:52
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Hey, so, a thing I thought of, since we're here...

Someone (was it MintMan?) mentioned something about how there aren't many mature Bennus out there to make any discourse about them. So I looked up how many Bennus were out there from the levels of 20-30, which yielded three. Got curious (especially since I've always wanted to adopt a third monster) so I started running a search on levels 20-45 for some of the other newer monsters.

That yielded the following results:

Peluda - 0
  Cwn Annwn - 0
  Jabberwock - 1
  Tiamat - 0
  Lou Carcolh - 0
  Miraj - 2
  Ryu - 1
  Basilisk - 2

(And you can double-check me on these figures, since I started with 20-30 and may not have doubled back to 20-45)

Was wondering if maybe we should deliberately try to qualify for another adoption, so we can poke into some of the less popular breeds? I'm floating between either Cwn Annwn, Tiamat, or Jabberwock for my next move. Ideally, someone a bit different than my slasher Baskerville!

MintMan

Member #1

Oct 12, 2018 21:59
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I'd go with Cwn Annwn. I don't think anyone else currently has a good one of those.

Tiamat is a meh monster with art that makes me think back to the original Basilisk design before I decided "Wait, what if I make it not suck instead?"

I mean, I know that Tiamat is accurate to stone tablet depictions (and may actually be Tiamat's husband Anzu), but still.

Cwn Annwn is also the very rare Spectral type, which doesn't have shenanigans with any other type, so that's always a plus.

"Well, the pessimists know they're doomed, so it's no surprise to them when it happens." ~ Wally
  "What do the optimists do?"
  "They become pessimists." ~ Wally, Dilbert
draggy1234

Member #97

Oct 13, 2018 1:27
Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I too have been thinking forward to a future monster from time to time. For me, the one thing I haven't really figured out yet is how to get the new adoptee from level 1 to level 25+ in order to continue the adoption cycle.
FKA_Foshi

Member #508

Oct 13, 2018 10:17

Cwn Annwn it is, then! I'll carve a niche for myself as the mythical dog expert.

Re: leveling - yeaaaaaaah, that'll be harder now without the ol' web traffic boost, eh. Spitfire, I realize, had a huge leg up on Baskerville, cos I believe he lived for a while on the Yoshi fanfic page I used to run. Now I got an actual blog that garners traffic, but might be an amateurish look for a barely-semi-professional music journalism site!

Maybe we just poke at each others' tiny sites every so often? My dweebish Card RPG page that's on my profile is more or less my monsters' playpen now. I don't even remember my Blogspot login deets, I've been away for so long.
MadGoblin

Member #2

Oct 13, 2018 15:02
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

It's sad that I could adopt a new monster (if not two, I lost track) but wanted to save it for when I made another monster. ... yeah, that was some years ago.

Woo, antiquated web gamey-thing. Personal websites are a relic from the past while the comparatively new Book-Face is now also outdated and fading fast. Curse you, whims of interest.

I think I wanted to do a not horribly obscure monster for the next time, but I totally forgot what that would be. Nuts to that: weird, yellow, poisonous, horned dragon~! Svada? Was that it's name? Maybe modern internet will expand upon knowledge from literally ten years ago.

"I can't go back to teaching high school math. Those girls pretend they're not women, but they are."
  - Pete, 30 Rock
FKA_Foshi

Member #508

Oct 15, 2018 20:49

Ach. Tell me about it. The game ideas I've had over the years filled up so many notebooks. I'm filling up a few right now, actually, with yet another RPG that'll prolly not see the light of day.

You could...or what about expanding one of the B-monsters, so that one could finally graduate into a real monster? It'd be neat to have a full-fleshed Carbuncle (i.e another light creature!). Or a Vodianoi. I'd adopt a log-fish monster. We have plenty of dragons, not enough plant hybrids. * fabricates a log collar *
Sword
MintMan

Member #1

Oct 16, 2018 11:42

Barometz for BD 2018.

You really don't want to get into game ideas on this forum, especially since mine end up not just ideas but backburnered for occupational reasons.

"'Nember back when you kept a graffiti book? And the only way for stranger to see who your friends were was to look at who had drawn in your book? Thank god for facebook. Now nobody has to be good at anything and everyone can know it." ~ MRTIM
FKA_Foshi

Member #508

Oct 17, 2018 20:37

Ha, fair. But now you've got me making troops out of ice cream instead of writing, so you succeeded on some level!
Julune

Member #486

Oct 18, 2018 2:35
Master Account Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I don’t think anyone here minds the fact that you aren’t able to turn your games into extravagant projects. What you’ve already made is pretty fantastic.

Anyways, I guess it’s about time I give BD a try... the only reason I was hesitant is because I don’t tend to do as well with competitive battle-type games(I’m more for the adventures and puzzles). I think I might go with Peluda... or something. I haven’t decided yet.
MintMan

Member #1

Oct 18, 2018 10:32

Got it.

Battling Dragons Refresh scheduled for version 5.

Interact with your monster; 90% of all actions result in it eviscerating its keeper.

"Well, the pessimists know they're doomed, so it's no surprise to them when it happens." ~ Wally
  "What do the optimists do?"
  "They become pessimists." ~ Wally, Dilbert

[Edited by MintMan on Oct 18, 2018 10:33]
FKA_Foshi

Member #508

Oct 18, 2018 18:39

Yeaaah! Welcome to the club, Julune! Granted, you may have to wait until Draggy and I qualify to adopt new creatures before you can really join the action - I dunno how many active players out there still have hatchlings. But won't hurt to knock and see if anyone's home!

I was considering the Peluda, actually! But he seemed like a brute, and I wanted to move away from brutes. And anyway, I'm set on the Cwn Annwn now.
draggy1234

Member #97

Oct 18, 2018 20:43
Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I plan on poking MintMan's Basilisk sometime in the near future, so he will probably be up for a new adoption too.
MintMan

Member #1

Oct 18, 2018 23:33

I'm up for another adoption whenever I feel like it. This is my web site, after all, and normally, monster-makers get some sort of bonus adoption points. I forget the exact formula I worked out. It really hasn't applied much beyond Gobbo, anyhoo.

I wonder if I can even remember what I was supposed to name my Hydra. That'll probably be my gating factor: not remembering the name it is supposed to have.

Y'know what that means: next adoption reserved for Barometz in version 5.

The Barometz will be named Whimsicott. Thus, the cycle will be complete.

"I know that will be obvious to some people but sadly stupid people have internet too." ~ Maffew of Botchamania
Julune

Member #486

Oct 20, 2018 1:22

Well, I was sorta thinking Peluda just 'cuz it looks like a big fuzzy turtle, but I really can't decide which one I like best. Any recommendations?
MintMan

Member #1

Oct 20, 2018 17:24

"Big fuzzy turtle" is perhaps the best description of Peluda ever.

You should get it for that reason alone.

"I know that will be obvious to some people but sadly stupid people have internet too." ~ Maffew of Botchamania
Julune

Member #486

Oct 21, 2018 24:58

Okay then, it's settled. I am now becoming the proud owner of the biggest, fuzziest turtle in all the land Big Smile

Since these are all supposed to be mythic beasts, what's the mythology behind Peluda? It's not one that I'm familiar with.
MintMan

Member #1

Oct 21, 2018 11:18

We actually have that here on the site under the Bestiary.

"Isn't that cute? It's nice to think that even if you're made of fire and covered in venom-filled syringes, you can still make some friends." ~ Real Monstrosities
MadGoblin

Member #2

Oct 21, 2018 13:19

I do believe I went off the script and made two French monsters in a row, putting the globalization of the Bestiary into serious jeopardy. That's why both my fuzzy-turtle (forever live that name, let's just replace Peluda with that) and giant-snail-snake-18+-Japanese-monster both have le French names. Or, at least, French Canadian. Inside joke~!

Whadda we got now? Two Norse, two Far East, two French, two generic European, two English?, and two that reside in the near/middle East area but probably have origins in Euro-myth? I ain't counting the loser monsters, obviously, as that's just too many. Still no classic Greco-Roman, which is pretty shocking, unless you count the Basilisk. But... that guy is in a weird position.

Fun fact: I think I have had the rabbit footed Raicho inked for years but just didn't like the outcome and just pushed it aside. Who needs an arctic thunder bird anywise? Nah, a Kraken would be cooler. Or that big, Russki mouth-ball (obviously a B-monster).

"Make sure you don't suck in anything you can't lift."
  "Words to live by, I'm sure."
  - Dr. Maston & Mr. Moloch, Project G.K.R.
FKA_Foshi

Member #508

Oct 22, 2018 19:54

What? Arctic thunder bird sounds wicked!!

Three Norse. Hrimfaxi, Nidhogg, and Garm are all Viking critters. Also, Cwn Annwn is technically ~Welsh~ (which is another reason I'm down to adopt one). And the Tatzelwurm is definitely not "generic European" if you ask me - that's distinctly German!

Draggy's switching opponents cos my Spitfire's gonna WHOMP him this round. Tongue (I'm being desperately optimistic, cos I'm on a hot losing streak)
MintMan

Member #1

Oct 22, 2018 20:47

And Hydra is definitely a Greco-Roman knuckle sandwich.

Kraken would have the significant issue of having to work rum into its moveset somehow.

"Isn't that cute? It's nice to think that even if you're made of fire and covered in venom-filled syringes, you can still make some friends." ~ Real Monstrosities
-   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2 
Mar 28, 2024 16:30 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022