Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Jan 20, 2020 3:48 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Battling Dragons :: Looking for a monster...

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
Rook

Member #112

Dec 23, 2011 24:40
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I'm trying to find a very evil mythological horse. I've been flipping through my old D&D books and saw the Nightmare in the Monster Manual. Looks like it'd be pretty fun to make, except I'm unable to find a reasonable likeness in folklore. I'm just wondering if anyone has a good one that they know off the top of their heads?

"...allow me to hold your head under the putrescent waters of knowledge."
  --Yahtzee Croshaw, Zero Punctuation
MintMan

Member #1

Dec 23, 2011 2:50
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

There are a number of folklorish horses which beckon a rider at night and then do horrible things to him, all while preventing the poor soul from dismounting. This is actually one of the forms of Kelpie, which just goes to show how wacky that guy is.

Gobbo knows about one horse whose head is a giant ball of fire.

Other than those, I am pretty sure that Nightmare was just a pun more than anything else.

"All romance ends in despair -- or death, but most likely despair: gutwrenching despair." Detective Lassiter, Psych
Rook

Member #112

Dec 23, 2011 2:58
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Groovy. Before I get ahead of myself here, I wanted to put forth a little idea. I was kinda hoping to make a monster, either the Pegasus or the Unicorn. But I thought a neat mechanic would be that once you got it to it's 2nd or 3rd stage of evolution, if your valor was 30 or lower it'd become a corrupt, evil version. Which is why I'm asking if there's any neat evil ponies out there.

"You know what? A society where anyone can make jokes about anyone else and everyone laughs is a truly tolerant society. Political-correctness-charged censorship only serves to engender resentment and distance between social groups. Besides, gangster rappers don't need defending, they've got guns for that!"
  --Yahtzee Croshaw, Zero Punctuation
MintMan

Member #1

Dec 23, 2011 3:19
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Well, any monsters out there would be, y'know, their own monster line entirely. Unless the lore actually depicts a single monster growing up multiple ways, it won't happen here. Even brothers like Skinfaxi and Hrimfaxi are separate entities.

Besides, isn't the "evil" Unicorn just the Monoceros?

I hear that Space Trombone is the way all the cool kids are sharing music these days.
Rook

Member #112

Dec 23, 2011 5:01

Damn. Worth a shot. Oh well. Might pick one and make it anyways, but only if I can overcome my crushing laziness.

Spells on the other hand can work that way, right? Doesn't Nidhogg do something like that?

"I'm sorry I twisted your DNA like a kitten with a ball of yarn"
  --Moira Brown, Fallout 3
MintMan

Member #1

Dec 23, 2011 22:34

Yes, spells can differentiate. Monsters can also gain access to different skills and techs based on Valor.

"I give up." ~ Virginia
  "The three sweetest words in the English language." ~ Ross, Raising Hope
Camo

Member #5

Jan 7, 2012 8:38
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Charlie?

Camo Smile Camo Smile Camo Smile UPSIDE DOWN SMILEY Camo Smile Camo Smile Camo Smile
   Camo Smile Camo Smile Camo Smile !FOREVER! Camo Smile Camo Smile Camo Smile

Camo Smile
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
Jan 20, 2020 3:48 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2019