Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Apr 19, 2024 7:30 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Battling Dragons :: Naming, Oh, Naming...

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
LeeTupper

Member #42

Nov 19, 2009 20:00
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

http://www.realitysend.com/cgi-bin/bdviewacc.pl?Cthulu&1
  Wow. Some pretty heady stuff here. So they named themselves Cthulu... and their familiar Cthulu. Nevermind that they misspelled the name... This is just baffling on too many levels for me to compute. If you're naming a familiar Cthulhu, why go with a Tatzelwurm? I mean, really. Physically, the closest appearance is by far the Jabberwock, and symbolically, one has Tiamat, who embodies a similar concept of "vast chaos beyond the dawn of humanity, the turbulent primordial oceans of a time prior to creation itself".

So why on earth did they use a Tatzelwurm? It just... hurts my brain.

Granted, I'm not without sin, here. I named my Tatzelwurm "Orm." That is like having a dog and naming it "Canine". And some of my R.E. League names are downright execrable.

So, any other baffling or amusing names that you've chanced upon in looking about? I kinda like Dracpn_the_Dragon_King. It reminds me of how I accidentally named a Yanma Bjplane, and then traded it, locking my stupidity into existance. Forever. (Fun note: Like 15% of Nidhogg users have a Dra in their familiar's name. I didn't check, but I'm assuming most of those, it's the first three letters.)

(Of lesser note, I also found that when searching for Nidhoggs between 1 and 20, the first result was empty. Glitch, or common... Well, misbehavior of the program?)

[Edited by LeeTupper on Nov 19, 2009 20:04]

aaand, now I feel like a douche, realizing Cthulu was the guy I also chewed out about the Falak issue... Gee, now I feel like a bully, instead of just "Snarky, slightly embittered guy".

[Edited by LeeTupper on Nov 19, 2009 20:06]
MintMan

Member #1

Nov 19, 2009 22:12
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Ah yes, blank file name. Been a good while since he's reared his ugly mug on RE. It usually results from the software glitches, and then propagates due to the old BD code doing little checking.

Now, I don't know how dude named his familiar after himself. I honestly believed there was a check against that, but maybe the new sign-up page did away with it on accident.

Main thing is, really? Griping about naming conventions? What about Charcolt the Nidhogg, or Pikachu the anything in BD? It is not just limited to this game, either, as you have pointed out. Pokémon -- in REL and outside -- get some of the stupidest and inappropriate names ever.

This isn't just users, either. Developers of RPGs have long given completely inappropriate names to monsters * cough cough *Final Fantasy* cough * So why should users give it so much as a second thought when they see big companies give the title Celphie to any generic monster of genericness?

"When no one was looking, Luthor took forty cakes. He took 40 cakes. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible." ~ DC's The Super Dictionary
Zedd

Member #76

Nov 20, 2009 18:20
Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

A quick search also reveals this guy.

In fact, there are something like sixteen people who have a number as the first character of their name. A fair subset of these also appear to have numbers in their familiar's names. I mean, somebody called '1'? Pretty bad. Them naming their familiar 'Tatzelwurm1'...?

"...Gotta get rid of that freaky 80's punk hair, though..." Blade, re. Falken.
Afiag

Member #242

Dec 1, 2009 17:22
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I have a feeling that if most of these people actually played, they'd be free kills.

Just sayin'

.."Do you know where the wicked go after death?"
  "A pit full of fire."
  "And should you like to fall into that pit, and to be burning there for
  ever?"
  "No, sir."
  "What must you do to avoid it?"
  "I must keep in good health, and not die."
  -Jane Eyre
LeeTupper

Member #42

Dec 3, 2009 10:46
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Out of curiosity, how long has it been since the last time junk accounts were purged? Has it ever happened?

Yeah, the whole "attach name to random beast" has gotten really old. Though, on the bright side, the FF franchise is immense enough now to have its own mythology, so beyond some recurring faux pas (Slepnir, Leviathan, Ahrimans, FREAKIN' BAHAMUT.), they've got their own set of monsters to screw up now.

I don't know which ones are the worst, namewise. The blatantly mood-killing ones (See: Churromonkey, the Ryu), or the utterly derivative (Something, anything with Sephiroth in their name.)

Not that I'm blameless on either (Rodan the Pidgeot, AHEM.) But anywho, there's some names that just make one boggle.
MintMan

Member #1

Dec 3, 2009 11:14
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Fenris the Garm is still wunnada best. Cross-mythological name blocking isn't done if the creature isn't in the Bestiary (or is spelled differently than it is in the Bestiary).

Junk accounts haven't been purged for a li'l while, but most people really expect too much to be considered junk. Any levels or battles or participation in most any kind precludes one from being killinated; stagnation alone isn't enough, unless I start running into memory/performance issues.
  Since I don't use databases, performance is never a problem. The only time I actually spelunk the entire roster is for the nightly ranking compilation.
LeeTupper

Member #42

Dec 22, 2009 23:05

Bigger: Cthulu's brain or Issun Boshi?

I actually can KINDA see Fenris the Garm, if say, you're a mythology buff who ain't too picky, and has one huge favorite. Still... To extend my analogy, somewhat akin to naming a malamute "Pitbull."

Nugget the Tatzelwurm (Tatzelwurm nuggets: With barbecue dipping sauce!)

Timothy the Nidhogg (Owned by Timmy.) (Hey, I'm Jim, and this is my pet, James.)

Killalotofstupidcreatures the Monoceros (Probably ranking so low because the first stupid creature it turned on was its master.)

gorgon the Ryu (Wait, WHAT? Another one of those... Mythstakes?)

Superkakka the Nidhogg (If you're naming yourself after poo, you aren't aiming very high. Even if it IS super.)

Bahamut the Nidhogg (Oh, dammit.)

Bahumut the Nidhogg (Oh, HONESTLY.)

Uprour the Nidhogg (Typos really get my gout.)

Zangoose the Nidhogg (Whiskey tango foxtrot?)

Arcanine the Nidhogg (Again...)

Pikachu the Nidhogg (is the something in the water?)

Entei the Basilisk (C-C-C-Combo breaker!)

Blue_Eyes the Nidhogg (But the eyes are YELLOW, right?)

Blue_Eyes_White_Dragon the Nidhogg (Oh.)

Sponge_bob the Kamaitachi (I think my brain just died.)

SSJDarkGohanX the Kamaitachi (You've just encapsulated every single late nineties user name into a familiar's name. You're meddling in the realm of GODS, son.)

Palin the Jabberwock (Political Commentary in my BD? It's more likely than you think! (Actually, Palin is a pretty awesome name. Huh.))

Morton and Morton the Nidhogg (Mr. Morton is the subject of the sentence, and what the predicate says, he does...)

Monkmonk and Monkmonk693, and their respective familiars, Monk and Monk

Dragon the Tatzelwurm (Oh, you son of a bitch, you just HAD to one up my generic 'wurm name, didn't you?)

(Daznabbit, why did the last tatzelwurm form need to be a dragon? I swear, all of us people who like a good lindorm-style best have to put up with all the dragon fanboys who are too... SOMETHING for nidhoggs.)
  (Well, I get why it had to be a dragon. Rhetorical question. But... Sigh...)

To be fair, I did see a few names I really liked. Faith Under Fire the Bennu is a decently clever name, Mustelidacer the Kamaitachi is somewhat nice, and Roman_X makes up for its anachronism by being utterly badass sounding.

And Kirin the Monoceros, IMO, is doing the "Replacement" as right as one can. Feral single horned beast with ties to the lore of the unicorn? Good enough, I guess.
Lugiatrainer

Member #20

Dec 22, 2009 23:51
Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

On Dec 22, 2009 23:05, LeeTupper said:

Bigger: Cthulu's brain or Issun Boshi?
  SSJDarkGohanX the Kamaitachi (You've just encapsulated every single late nineties user name into a familiar's name. You're meddling in the realm of GODS, son.)

I think you mean in the realm of DEVILS. * class changes to Exorcist in defense! *
draggy1234

Member #97

Dec 24, 2009 3:01
Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

* is glad none of his own familiars are on LeeTupper's list * Big Smile

I still remember getting my Nidhogg's name Hithop from another place in which I had given the same name to a pet-like-character, years ago. Thinking back on it (and I had actually reminisced a couple of years ago about this), it probably would've been more fitting to put it on a Kamaitachi or Miraj. But still, fond memories.
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
Apr 19, 2024 7:30 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022