Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Apr 25, 2024 4:50 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Battling Dragons :: Odd Idea for the RPG

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
LeeTupper

Member #42

Jun 11, 2009 23:15
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Will there ever be a St. Peter's fish, which would indeed have a reason for dropping money when defeated?

I just had to mention this idea, since it struck me while thinking about videogame tropes and mythology put together. (Man, my RPG account is F'ed up. What was I thinking with some of those choices? And why did I blow all my coin on useless things?)

I know that BD the RPG is like a seventh or eighth tier project (at best, no?), these days, but still...
  Actually, other than like... Well, upgrading RE League to a new generation, I think that BD: RPG has the highest ratio of member interest to Minty's actual care about it than like anything else on the site.

Forums: Upgrade the RPG, we need an epic story with walkaround! The Maelstrom Gym is not enough!

Minty: But in BD, the purpose is just to get your practice levels up...

Forums: But it's a fantasy setting RPG! It should have four disks!

Minty: Shush up about it and do interactive writing, you gits! *uses some technique from his collossal tech list*
MintMan

Member #1

Jun 12, 2009 10:10
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Well, I do have a tech called "Some Tech from my Colossal Tech List." Three, actually, but I digress. * combines Some Tech from my Colossal Tech List with another token and newly uses Digress on LeeTupper *

If I remember how BD dropping works (if it works, which I think I added provisions for it), the encounterable enemy is given a chance of dropping a specific item defined on a per-area basis. Technically, gold and coin do not exist in the BD RPG. Shops barter on a specific currency (which is typically just a regular item of no other use). I wanted to add a realistic element of different crowns being only useful in certain areas with the possibility of money-changers and the like. Pretty much, I didn't want people to grind-up infinity dollars and be able to purchase anything.

Speaking of grind, that is the biggest difference between member interest and mine. People don't want a game; they want experience. They want to be able to click a button for hours on end and be ZOMG POWERFLULZ!!!11!1 RealitysEnd.com, of course, utterly detests that idea, so if something were to come out for the BD RPG, it would be widely panned and hated, which brings up the point of why even make it?
  And that's been the stall for lo these past many years.

If The People wanted an epic story and original concepts, I'd be all in. But they don't; they never do. Creativity seems to be some sort of Kryptonite to RE patrons; they don't want to make good scrolls, they don't want to make real decisions, and they don't want to read or pay attention long enough to play through a good story.
  That's the reason there are so many tiers to RE projects; stuff keeps getting back-burnered when I realize "Welp, this'll never fly in the current landscape!" I've even started failing ideas before they even see the light of day! Gobbs and I joked how Grafight "REWS'd" weeks before it even came out! (That was wholly expected, tho', and had ulterior motives for being released at all as it was.)

Surprisingly, the BD RPG isn't that low on the current RE list -- only below about two or three other things. Recent layout stuff from WKG/Dominion (I told you a lot of projects were pre-emptively scrapped despite each being playable)/Incarnate games is expected to be ported over to the BD RPG. That freakin' text box has given me more grief than anything else, I swear...

"I say I'm a million percent. That is better than one hundred percent." ~ "Macho Man" Randy Savage
Sword
Rook

Member #112

Jun 12, 2009 15:59
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I don't suppose you could release an RPG that worked independently of your actual BD account? You'd have your monster, but at Level 1. Then as you go through the game, it levels in that game, but your actual BD character remains unchanged. Then a relic or two for beating certain bosses or something for the grinders. Everybody wins.

Of course, I make this sound like you're some kind of genie who could just *poof* it into existance.

"...allow me to hold your head under the putrescent waters of knowledge."
  --Yahtzee Croshaw, Zero Punctuation
MintMan

Member #1

Jun 12, 2009 16:09
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Yeah, relics. Not like people aren't already tripping over all the different ways to get those. That would so snag in the grinders.

The leveling issue was never a problem for me; technically, only the user's character's level is used, and not the monster's. No BD RPG could ever drift above level ten, experience tapered off into nothingness at too great a level difference (which made people not play), and independent leveling in the actual BD game was still required to get past a lot of areas since extra power (i.e. better techs) was still needed.
  The issue isn't that people could grind; I am intelligent enough to prevent that. It is simply that they want to grind, which would make them utter apathetic and thus not worth the effort. I already have enough things around here that no one anywhere cares about.

I guess it hasn't been said on RE in a while now, but never suggest anything. All members' ideas are either bad, infeasible, or something I already thought of. I have yet to see an exception in over ten years.

"When no one was looking, Luthor took forty cakes. He took 40 cakes. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible." ~ DC's The Super Dictionary
Blade

Member #99

Jun 16, 2009 7:27

like myrealitysendspace.com ..it will happen Camo Smile
  * uses SoulSteel on Rook for the mere apathy *

Plus you're legal now - MintMan
Sword
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
Apr 25, 2024 4:50 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022