Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Apr 25, 2024 8:26 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Battling Dragons :: Com-munich-a-shun

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2  3 
Blade

Member #99

Apr 22, 2008 18:20
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Where would be the correct place to talk about your battles? (not as a direct post to everyone just to the other person you're currently battling with). Would a mini forum not-unlike the ReWS boards that would exist only for a battle be hard to code? and would it be useless?

Also I wanted to know how to calculate the win/loss ratio (as im sure if you check drake's stats you would see how low mine is, I just want to know how low haha).

And may I say, holiday relics are teh-shizz Camo Smile

Plus you're legal now - MintMan
Battalon127

Member #25

Apr 22, 2008 19:12
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I would suggest that MintMan has had a feature for things like this hard-coded into the forums for years. You've probably already seen it, maybe even used it without knowing. It looks something like this-

Is it perfect? Maybe not, but you can always move to an instant messaging program if you want a quicker exchange. Quite frankly, I don't see this being a big enough deal to warrant some sort of dedicated feature. Course, I'm not the guy who makes these sort of decisions, so who knows.

I profusely apologize for the above posting and accept full responsibility for any and all resultant damages. If, for some reason, you liked what you read, I retract my prior statement and copies will be available on cassette for $9.95 plus shipping.
MintMan

Member #1

Apr 22, 2008 21:13
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

This is the standard PBS complex -- just because you are talking about your battle doesn't mean your opponent will read it. In fact, they most likely will not even log in during their fight. That's how these things typically work. There also comes in a huge harrassment problem with the unmoderated communication.
  Besides, talking about your battles is a largely worthless feature. What's the most that could be said? "Hey, I'm winning/losing"? "Hey, I just missed/got critted again"?

Win/loss ratios in BD are just calculated as wins divided by battles (wins plus losses). No real mystery there.

"First and foremost, I am evil. And not 'movie evil' wherein there is a shred of likeability to me, but the unadulterated kind. But in all fairness, I do secretly have the heart of a good man. It's shrink wrapped in my freezer....but there incase the situation merits its use. Can I be ambivalent at times? Well, yes and no." ~ Sean Carless
Blade

Member #99

Apr 23, 2008 3:29

yeah my bad i was doing wins divided by losses not total battles... and...I don't want to IM you people haha now that you put it that way I suppose they don't have a point... if anything I think I really only wanted to talk about the weirdness of holiday relics...

Plus you're legal now - MintMan
Afiag

Member #242

Apr 23, 2008 10:49
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Well, I think it'd be pretty pointless. There are few things to talk about in a battle. Except for maybe "Arrrgh when will this end????" or "I can't tell if I'm losing!"
  Besides random fight-slander, which we obviously don't want. I think us forum-goers would be well behaved, but of course there are more BDers than us.

"Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes."
  That way, when you do judge them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
SailorSassyStar

Member #19

Apr 23, 2008 12:37
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Erm, yeah... everything about this site is weird.

I don't think I like this new scaring and holiness stuff, at least not yet. It doesn't appear to be working in my favor...

Silliness aside, because that's what we're good at, the IM/e-mail thing would be a pretty good way of communicating... at least if I didn't have finals this week. Shifty Eyes I should be studying so I'm going to be offline for a couple of days.
MadGoblin

Member #2

Apr 23, 2008 16:39

I've known battle banter to come up occasionally, but when it does, it tends to be with other, more accessible people would normally be used to drop the "What! Another CH?" line on.

That, and any general dealings regarding miscellaneous battleness otherwise would just be bounced off folks like West or such. It's good to have a wall to bounce junk off of.

That's right, I called VD a wall. And penicillin is the rope.

It puts peaches on your pizza!
MintMan

Member #1

Apr 24, 2008 14:31

"Hey, did you see? There was a hilarious message resulting from the holiday relic you used?"
  "... Yes... Yes, I did see."
  "... Okay."
  "..."
  "..."
  "..."
Just what RE needed -- more awkward silence.

Since there is all this brew-haha on battle-scussion, I should prolly point out that there have been plans for a while (and now more likely than ever due to the extra complexities of NDR2) to make a sort of arena or coliseum with limited amounts of matches at a slower pace and higher stakes. One of the main dillios with it was supposed to be the peanut-gallery spectators, who could not only commentate on the fight but also cheer or jeer a certain monster to affect the outcome.

Why has it never been made, you may ask? You may also be an idiot if you have to ask why something that requires member participation is scarce to be made.

"If it's any consolation to you, by the way, I'm creeping myself out." ~ Craig Ferguson
Afiag

Member #242

Apr 24, 2008 20:53
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Well... a good lot of us compete in tournaments. So why not this? I think it'd be nifty. Just have a minimum of one or two spectators, and they could have a collective pool of cheer/jeer points. With the total being an odd number, so there can't be a neutral value. Like.. Two spects, each with 5 points to bestow positively or negatively. Then, in the event of a tie, an extra point appears for the first to grab it? And a one shout per so-many-hours limit. It'd have some pretty interesting battles, and be a opportunity for sizing up your future opponents.
  Yay, brain-vomit! Wait, my brain shouldn't be vomiting. It should be learning C++! Avaunt, useless mind spewings!

* uses DragonDance on Blade for failing some simple math *
  [Mathematical errors are only an excuse for a new tech. Maybe.]

Dade: [On the phone] "Norman? This is Mr. Eddie Vedder, from Accounting. I just had a power surge here at home that wiped out a file I was working on. Listen, I'm in big trouble, do you know anything about computers?

Norm [Security guard]: "Uhhmmm... uh gee, uh..."

Dade: "Right, well my BLT drive on my computer just went AWOL, and I've got this big project due tomorrow for Mr. Kawasaki, and if I don't get it in, he's gonna ask me to commit Hari Kari...

Norm: "Uhhh.. ahahaha..."

Dade: "Yeah, well, you know these Japanese management techniques. (pause) Could you, uh, read me the number on the modem?

[Edited by Afiag on Apr 24, 2008 20:57]
Sword
MintMan

Member #1

Apr 24, 2008 23:08

Or the spectators could be, y'know, any spectator who happens to come by and see the battle instead or requiring a sign-up date to further impossilate the fight from ever occuring and complicating it so more than needlessly. Good lord. * creates a WhompinStick because he was reminded both to cross some tokens and whomp *

Besides, this is participation, not signing up for something anywhere in the interval of up to weeks at a time when an email is received and then never checking up on it like tourneys. Even then, tourney participation numbers are far down from "a good lot"... mostly because people stopped actually clicking their tourney emails to see that their subscriptions were up and instead just went straight to BD Shifty Eyes

Very historically, anything on RE that requires communication or in other ways expressing any form of thought fails miserably. Unless, of course, it is a topic that someone starts on the forum. Those always burn quite a good ways, but alas they always dry up, prolly from the heat caused by the aforementioned burning. At any rate, it will be at least another two weeks before someone makes another topic. Apparently, only starting conversation is a problem, not responding, as blokes always seem to do that more than readily -- unless it is something that I started, in which case no one will respond, thus why anything generated from a site program (and thus me) is doomed to lie dormant.

And that's why there are no battle discussion boards, kiddies. I hope this all has been educational. Next up: where do baby Nidhoggs come from if there is only one male Nidhogg in Norse mythology? I'm sure you'll find the answer pleasantly disgusting... waitaminute, that doesn't sound pleasant at all.
  What? This post is still going on?

"I was supposed to be that goat!" ~ Shawn Spencer, Psych
Sword
Skulkraken

Member #128

Apr 24, 2008 23:24
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

In any case, a lot of games have trouble getting any meaningful commentary or spectating going. Even commercial games, like Command and Conquer, barely have anyone doing actual commentary on matches.
Blade

Member #99

Apr 25, 2008 9:17

Off topic: (well not really I mean the post is called communication)

In my latest battle, Usagi died 'of fright' is that just a new way to describe Razorassault's attack or was it like 'fear damage' or something...the minor scare or whatever it is...

Ho! Ho! Ho! to the gameboy I go
  To heal my heart and drown my woe.
  Rain may fall and wind may gale,
  But my battery is yet to fail.
  So in a dank corner I will lie,
  And watch the hours go sailing by.
  And while I lie in this nintendo-induced trance,
  I decide I'll give Pokemon Crystal a chance.
  --my random quotation exploitation

MintMan

Member #1

Apr 25, 2008 12:41

As it states in the current NDR2 man page, scaring a monster to a very large degree will cause it to die. This is simply because the Scare effects are time and action deferred, eeking out small amounts over numerous attacks. Otherwise, scaring techs could result in situations like those old Bennu battles that just dragged on and on since no body was dealing any damage.

So, low life + lots of scaring = dying. This isn't some unfair or bonus damage; it just means Usagi was already on death's door when she was frightened.

"And I know this all because I have a PhD in being awesome." ~ Sean Carless
Skulkraken

Member #128

Apr 26, 2008 4:24
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I am very happy with the new scaring mechanic. My tatzelwurm seems more powerful now, though that may just be me.
Sword
Blade

Member #99

Apr 27, 2008 2:27

Yeah, scare seems to be looking good for me too. My current battle shall be a very interesting one, I'm actually looking forward to seeing it in action... any guesses as to the time period for the battle? (I have a couple of tests coming up this week, but I really don't want to miss this battle)...

Any thoughts on the prospective victor?? I'm feeling confident.
  * uses Armageddon on Afiag for some da-mage *

Hi Super Nintendo Chalmers!

EDIT: uhh...where's the sword icon...or did I kill it with stupidity...?

[Edited by Blade on Apr 27, 2008 2:31]
Sword
Battalon127

Member #25

Apr 27, 2008 12:58
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I dunno, man. This Geirrek guy has only lost five battles with that familiar, so it's gonna be tough. Especially for a guy who can't even find the sword icon (it's right at the end where it's always been). Also, if movies, books, etc. have taught me anything about fights, his valor (73) compared to your lack of valor (3) means he's just about guaranteed to win. Seriously, man, 3? You must fight lower-levels almost exclusively. Yet you still lose 63% of your battles. Yeah, I'd wager my quatloos on the other guy.

* Because he has far too many tokens, sets a secret FriendlierGreeting *

""~Camo
Sword
Blade

Member #99

Apr 28, 2008 2:12

Yeah I don't pay attention to valor, but I never really recall challenging anyone lower leveled than me... could one lose valor from challenging someone the same level, but with lower xp?

And as for the sword Icon, I have come to the conclusion that it only reared its ugly head when some one else posts...

I was actually hoping for this 'Geirrek' guy to post here Camo Smile haha... just on the off tangent, but does that name come from the sound a frog makes??

..either way as long as you gain some experience from a battle, 'tis all good.... even if that experience comes in WyrdWater form...haha

Ho! Ho! Ho! to the gameboy I go
  To heal my heart and drown my woe.
  Rain may fall and wind may gale,
  But my battery is yet to fail.
  So in a dank corner I will lie,
  And watch the hours go sailing by.
  And while I lie in this nintendo-induced trance,
  I decide I'll give Pokemon Crystal a chance.
  --my random quotation exploitation

[Edited by Blade on Apr 28, 2008 2:18]
Sword
MintMan

Member #1

Apr 28, 2008 8:58

No, you cannot lose valor from challenging someone of the same level. In fact, one used to gain valor for doing just that. It doesn't even make any sense to lose valor for challenging someone of the same level; the idea is that a higher leveled monster has advantages, none of which really change throughout the course of a single level, but across them.

The sword obviously didn't rear its head when someone else posted as Batts came immediately after you and saw it fine. Ergo, it had to have been there already.

And "Geirrek", or more correctly "Geirrekr", is simply an Icelandic (closest to the old Viking language) localization of my real life name.

Can't argue with the Wyrd Water philosophy. Everyone seems to have a limitless supply of the stuff; why not use it? Actually, the same goes for most relics. I guess I should be glad people don't use 'em more, 'cause then I'd have to implement the relic-limit rule to make sure people didn't win solely on account of the ten relics used in one fight Boggle * uses Toss on Blade with a WhompinStick to give him another relic... the hard way *
Sword
draggy1234

Member #97

Apr 28, 2008 9:35
Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

...But...but...I once splurged on relics in an elimination tournament a long time ago...and my Nidhogg still got beaten by a Kamaitachi... Crying

That aside, I have sometimes wondered if there are people out there looking to challenge me but haven't been able to because my status is almost always "Currently expecting battle", "Currently in battle", or "Currently being timed out" (last one unofficial, of course Shifty Eyes ). Then again, given the history of what happened the last time(s) I waited for a challenge... Crying
Battalon127

Member #25

Apr 28, 2008 23:31

I'd say always either expecting battle or being in battle would be a good thing as it shows you're eager to fight. If they really want to spar, they can always call dibs for next match or something. Wink

Oh, and since this is a dumb ideas page, the one thing I've always wanted to see in BD (and I can't remember if I've ever brought this up in the past) would be some sort of battle history. Not an entire list of back logs of course, but at least a history who I've faced and who won. That way when I'm considering someone to challenge, I can look back, realize I've already challenged them three times in the past month (I have a horrible memory for things like this) and move on to someone else. To be fair, I know I can always keep these logs myself, but being lazy and notoriously bad at record-keeping, it would be nice to have a piece of code responsible for it instead. Feel free to ignore me or call me a genius as you see fit.

So I'm on the Golden Gate Bridge, and everyone is telling me to jump! I was just taking a jog! ~Roy, That 70's Show
Sword
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2  3 
Apr 25, 2024 8:26 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022