Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Apr 16, 2024 7:29 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Battling Dragons :: Upcoming New Ladder System, and Championship Memories

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
draggy1234

Member #97

Jun 13, 2007 19:41
Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

So, with the new ladder system slated for next month, what are all you BDers expecting to come out of it? Do you think there will be a preview to whet our battling appetites once again? Tongue My thoughts/hopes are that, at the least, it won't simply be a bland list of who is better than others (even though I think the rankings page already covers that well enough). I'm imagining that there will be some mechanism that allows for coverage across all level ranges, except for maybe all the numerous level 1s around. I can just think of the "motivation" a level 24 would get from seeing a level 4 higher up on the ladder Laughing . It would be quite amusing to also find a temporary title waiting for whoever can climb to the top of the ladder. Aside from another possibility to be embedded in history, more valor means more fun Lick .

Of course, I'm sure that, when all is said, MintMan already has the system planned out and ready to implement, and when we do witness its release we can laugh at some of our assumptions then. Tongue I just hope that the ladder system can last longer than the championships...

Speaking of the championship titles, what were your thoughts and/or experiences about them? I mean, all the outsiders could see were the battles that take place over them and the comics. Myself, I was hoping that having at least one title would make good bait for lower leveled people to challenge me, so I could rack up more (potential) wins with less experience. Big Smile Of course...that didn't work out too well the time I tried it... Frown

So, yeah, I'm interested in your opinions on these BD features. Care to share, please? Smile

[Edited by draggy1234 on Jun 13, 2007 19:42]
MintMan

Member #1

Jun 13, 2007 20:29
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

All I'll spoil about the first part is the same as the answer to your second: everyone hated the championships. As far as RE goes, those were perhaps the biggest flop I've ever produced. Even AT -- in all incarnations -- was cared about more than the titles.

Nobody wanted them, and nobody certainly cared about all of the storylines and rivalries they were supposed to produce. The ladder system is going to be designed with everyone's utter disdain for the belts in mind. It won't just be the current overall rankings, however. It'll probably replace the battle board, tho', as a list of all active players. One strike, and you're out. Only players who battle (i.e. respond to challenges) stay on this list, thus giving it some more prestige than the normal one.

I had a lot planned out, too. It was going to turn out that the belts trapped the essence of all monsters who ever held it, thus allowing the Fen King to steal all high leveled monsters for his own us, thus forcing everyone's low-leveled, non-ever-title-holding monsters to try and free all of the captured monster spirits.

Of course, that would be something interesting that required member participation. Like blutty 'el if you'll ever see a REer go for that Mean Look

"You're single in your twenties. When you're thirty-nine, you're just alone." - Nick Griffin
Battalon127

Member #25

Jun 14, 2007 9:18
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Championships tick me off for the sole reason that in my recent battle with Draggy I forgot to indicate that I was challenging for the titles. And I won, too! Curse you Draggy, curse you and the circumstances that were no one's fault but my own...

If you don't like someone, why bother pissing them off to begin with? Just go for the kill. ~Cheetarius
MintMan

Member #1

Jun 14, 2007 9:30
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Yeah, that'll be something you don't have to worry about with the ladder; every match is for rank, even spars.

Huh, you'd think if you were challenging him for the belt, that is the one option you would remember to click.

Strange, you defeated him in a non-title match, but you weren't made the #1 Contender? Or were you, and Celebi is simply blocking you from showing up? * checks * Nope, no contendership. Huh, must be his multiple belts screwin' it up. I'll have to add you to both.
draggy1234

Member #97

Jun 14, 2007 10:53
Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I was wondering about that battle there, Battalon127. I couldn't really figure out why you'd challenge my Ryu in a win/loss fight without going for the championships, unless you wanted to use me as a valor vending maching... Shifty Eyes At any rate, though, I'm open for rechallenges (obviously), which is actually kind of refreshing after the April battle drought I went through. Just please make it another win/loss one, as I like those high stakes.

* uses CheerUp on Battalon127 and wishes good luck in the upcoming fight *

As to the prior plans for the belts, that must have been one interesting plot you planned out, MintMan, at least to me. Although if that happened I probably could've pulled out my level 28 Nidhogg to deal with things faster Laughing . I've noticed, though, that community-wide events seem to be more unpredictable and unexpected than normal solo events (in which usually each person does something himself/herself for a reward). I say this in reference to an online MMORPG that has recently been holding a server-wide event with prizes for cooperative work. At the beginning, things looked promising, but it is now taking a turn for the worse.

Oh well, I'll still enjoy battling, and thinking of what new creature I should adopt upon my Ryu leveling up... Smile
Sword
Dragon_Kirby

Member #226

Jun 14, 2007 15:19
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Titles? Wha?

COOKIE!

MadGoblin

Member #2

Jun 14, 2007 23:25

I know I had a good (piss poor) reason for not being more titly-active.

Despite being the first European Champ (as all the comic fans fully know), an honour I had fully not expected, I would have rather had people not intimately connected to the game to have a grab at the belts. So, once I lost it, I resumed training my low level familiar. Still, tho', Ems said to chase after a belt, so I made a promise: "As soon as this battle starts and ends, I'll challenge the guy."

... boy, was that stupid. I mean this, since Febuary, my Peluda has been in, oh, one match. All the jerkoffs won't accept. Rather cancel the bout, oh no, they just let it time out. Thus, long spans of time fly by, Peluda still remains without any battling, and the champs get back into a match of their own. Repeat for four months. Damn ass crappy bastards.

"Boy meets girl. Girl is kinda stoned. Boy has nachos."
  -Classic American Love Story, Still Standing
Battalon127

Member #25

Jun 15, 2007 10:59
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Thank you Draggy. Best of luck to you as well. And Gobbo, why don't you just cancel if it's becoming clear that your opponent isn't going to accept the challenge? Does canceling a challenge hurt Valor? Or challenge rating?

MintMan

Member #1

Jun 15, 2007 12:09

It affects neither. After a day or two, a cancellation will remove the slow, offending party from the Battle Board, too.

And Dragon Kirby.... urge to kill... rising. Actually, you were gone for some amount of time that I cannot remember fully. Also, your level is pretty low and out of championship range. Still, frequent side bar, main page, and BD page links to championships should not make the title belts a mystery to you. I pushed them pretty hard for about four months straight until the wave of apathy crushed the championships.

Masamuno:Whoa Katoe whats that.Katoe:A nidhogg Portal this is where nidhoggs pop out hmmm where are you....it comes!! - My Kamaitachi
Dragon_Kirby

Member #226

Jun 15, 2007 15:00
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Ah. So that was something other than those 'King of Springtime or some other such season' things. I'm never high enough level for that sort of stuff, I suppose I didn't pay much attention...

COOKIE!

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
Apr 16, 2024 7:29 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022