Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Mar 28, 2024 18:52 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Battling Dragons :: A question.

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
weirdymike

Member #241

Aug 23, 2005 22:35
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

My Ryu has the skill Courage, if I get the practise ratings high. Does it do anything speacial then it does already?
  also, is it allowed to battle someone just to do this: courage, scales, dive, scales, courage. and repeat? to get the practise rating up

Smoke all you want. You're going to get hit by a bus.
MintMan

Member #1

Aug 23, 2005 22:48
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

You could... if you were a moron. I mean, there are no attacks in there; slot Courage over something that is not one of your attacks (it can go in any bar since it is a non-damaging technique) and get some way to win.
  But yes, you can do a non-damaging AI set if you are dumb enough to. You can train it up and cause damage at the same time just as easily with such sets as Courage / Flipper / Breath or Courage / Flipper / Dive or Courage / Scales / Breath or any such combination thereof.

As for the practice rating, you have already been told innumerable times to read the FAQ. If you know that using a spell during battle raises your practice rating, you should have also already read what practice rating does in the first place. * throws a FAQ at weirdymike with much aggression *

Friggin' read, man! I could just as easily tell you right here instead of chewing you out again, but this is getting old. These forums aren't made for your every want-witting-whim. Every topic in recent memory has been created by you, and only about two of them were not out of incompetence and laziness.
Sword
weirdymike

Member #241

Aug 23, 2005 23:11

I just keep forgeting about the FAQ, but heres a question it wont help me with. unless I read and get confused and it wont work, and I keep trying and get mad. But its easier if you anwser.

my skills are dive, Courage, scales, flipper, breath and sprout.
  I cannot find a working combination.
  Using the following as the grid, can you place my skills.
  Power-> -1- -2- -3- -4-
  Magic-> -1- -2- -3- -4-
  Special-> -1- -2- -3- -4-

MintMan

Member #1

Aug 24, 2005 3:35
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

1) The dandy BD View Account button attached to all of your posts lets me see your techs, so there is no need to repeat them.

2) It's Spout, not Sprout. Ryu's create WaterSpouts, not grow things.

3) What exactly do you mean by a working combination? Do you mean one that doesn't suck?

Ryu's are pretty flexible. It entirely depends on how you want to attack your opponent: attack, casting, or banishment. You have one of each, all SL1, so pick whichever is best for a given opponent. You can change your grid for every match-up, and you should.

Slot Courage over something you won't use a lot -- probably your Special bar. You can pack Flipper in Power and probably Spout in Magic (since your Virtue-increasing spell will help it out a lot). Then, you can pretty much go Courage-Spout-Flipper and so forth.
  After three uses of Courage, your Virtue will be maxed-out, and you can drop to your EL1 Special tech instead.

If you are fighting something with a maddening amount of defensive capabilities, you may want to replace Flipper with Dive instead (or Scales if you are up against a Strong opponent). If you are up against an even more virtuotous force than Ryu, using Breath over Spout may be a good idea unless said opponent uses several Banishment techniques -- the use of Courage will then remain in your strategy to defend Bans and by consequence make your own stronger.
Dragon_Kirby

Member #226

Aug 24, 2005 9:57
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Oooohh...I knew somethng was weird when i looked over the batle log, I hadn't been attacked once...

COOKIE!
LieutenantEagle

Member #27

Aug 24, 2005 13:07
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Ya...and there's no point in training a spell infinitely, for it only goes up by every so much.

Also, don't confuse Spells, Techs, and Skills. Courage is a spell, and everything else in your grid is a tech; your Ryu currently does not have any skills. Not that people couldn't understand you, but for the sake of anal people's sanity.

And finally, Mints is correct - adjust your grid. Don't go into battle by simply challenging; open up the person's account, look at the familiar's stats, and decide accordingly. Forewarned is forearmed.

Edit:
  If you are facing an opponent of higher Virtue than Arcane, even Courage won't be much use. Typically (don't laugh, MintMan) I look at my Arcane and Virtue, and my opponent's Arcane and Virtue, and do some basic arithmetic.

Cast: My Arcane + Enemy Virtue - Enemy Arcane

Ban: My Virtue + Enemy Arcane - Enemy Virtue

Then I compare the Cast and Ban results, and adjust to whichever is better. Of course, if the numbers are pretty much equal, you have to take your pick (or balance out casts/bans if you can) because stats go up and down throughout the battle. However, if you have much more Virtue than your opponent, even a decreased Virtue would still yield good banishment damage (case at hand: Nidhoggs).

LieutenantEagle
  President of the SMFC
  Super Mario Fan Club
  -----------
  "Don't quote me on this, but I'm betting that pipe goes somewhere." -Goombario

[Editted by LieutenantEagle on Aug 24, 2005 13:15]
weirdymike

Member #241

Aug 24, 2005 13:53

oy!!! no!! its just not working!!
  it says this no matter what I do!

the highest leveled tech in every bar must be a spell; otherwise you may only have a lvl 1 tech slotted to that bar.

Without putting flipper in the power bar. everything seems to be ok.. but that means I am not using all my skills/techs/spells. you know...

MintMan

Member #1

Aug 24, 2005 15:27

Um.... yeah.

You are not supposed to use all of your spells and techs. You are only supposed to use about four of them where you are right now. The ony way you could fit more is to overslot your spell into an EL 3 or 4 spot, meaning you would be able to use it much, much less and thus I highly recommend against it.

Monsters only have twelve slots in their grid; most of those won't even be touched until level ten. At twenty, many monsters have more than twenty techniques in their repetoire. Of course you ain't gonna fit them all. That is why you have to build a grid -- to choose what you are going to use in a battle.

Was that not made perfectly clear by repeatedly giving example grids with only four techs?
Lymfada

Member #214

Aug 24, 2005 15:51
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Have to put my 2 cents in here. Overslotting is great if done right. If you overslot to say the 4th spot, your objective is not to use the spell in the forth spot but have thee extra attack for say a moderate attack. It would go like this moderate attack,whatever slot 1,moderate attack,whatever slot 1, moderate attack, whatever slot1,whatever slot 1 moderate attack. This gives you an edge early on or at least can especially for a Bennu. I used this early on to get my oppenent down quicker. The strat is sound though.

Lym
  What does not kill you makes you stronger
Blade

Member #99

Aug 25, 2005 6:43

is there anyway to kill all your techs and spells and re learn them?
  It's just I seem to have picked rather badly. ( I assume it was my absent-ness of age.And inexperience. This idea was brought to you by such things as: Blade's mind, Blade's keyboard, Blade's pet elephant; mojo. Abuse away, I full heartedly endorse it Big Smile

-.- I was bored.

Conker's Bad Fur Day

Conker: Well, here I am! Conker the King... king of all the land! Who'd a thought that? But how did I come to this, you say? And who are those strange fellows that surround my throne? That you also say! Well. It's a long story. Come closer and I'll tell you. It all started... yesterday. And what a day that was! It's what I call... a bad fur day!
MintMan

Member #1

Aug 25, 2005 7:49

If there were a way to unlearn techs, then why would they have to be learned in the first place? Unlearning them would essentially give you as large a tech pool as currently available to you only with an annoying extra step involved.

There are ideas for a Nepenthe relic which would allow one technique to be unlearned, but that is it. Other than that, the game is very unforgiving.
Kupoling_Katana

Member #238

Aug 27, 2005 18:46
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

You can overslot, and it won't hurt anything, as long as you're not putting your power techs in the last slot. As for spells, they will only change forms when you level up. And why, for the love of the Pyritian empire, would you want to unlearn techs?!?!

* class changes to Mage to be able to cast heavy black magic at all those who don't care to read the FAQ *

Syra Arcana, part of The Pyrefly Aeon
weirdymike

Member #241

Aug 28, 2005 10:50

How do I put a picture of my BD on my site. I've seen it on other sites. Its cool

[Editted by weirdymike on Aug 28, 2005 10:51]
LieutenantEagle

Member #27

Aug 28, 2005 11:27
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

By the Yggdrasil, weirdymike, do you ever read the links on your BD login page?

...First, go to "Edit Display" and set your display preferences as desired. Then, save that, and choose "Get HTML Fragment" to get your code. Simple as that.

On the topic of displays, if I set my display location at above or below, will battle display still be the wide version? In fact, can the battle display be bypassed altogether? Reason I'm asking is that I want to put my BD info on the right-hand side of my new layout, but, of course, realize that a wide battle display would destroy the entire page.

LieutenantEagle
  President of the SMFC
  Super Mario Fan Club
  -----------
  "I know what I believe. I will continue to articulate what I believe and what I believe - I believe what I believe is right." -President Dubya

MintMan

Member #1

Aug 28, 2005 14:50

No, battle data is always wide. BD familiars are purposely made layout-unfriendly so that people can't make them part of every page of their site. The IP buffer prevents this set-up from giving undeserved experience, but it still drains my bandwidth.

And Weirdy, this is a new low. There is an entire section of the FAQ called "Displaying your Familiar". What the bleedin' Hel, man? How frickin' lazy can you be? You didn't have to make any real effort to find that; just clicking on the FAQ (which I am still entirely convinced you have never done) would have revealed that.
LieutenantEagle

Member #27

Aug 28, 2005 15:07

You, uh, need to read the FAQ for that, Mints? I thought the links spoke for themselves.

LieutenantEagle
  President of the SMFC
  Super Mario Fan Club
  -----------
  The best Mario club, only for the best Mario fans!
MintMan

Member #1

Aug 28, 2005 16:28

They do, but people cannot see links. Literally.

Whenever there are navigation bars, people (sometimes) notice them the first time around, and after that, they are completely skipped over, even if they change.

It all has to do with a formularization of web layouts and the fact that people are frickin' morons!!! I mean, people get way too much into the habit of things. I remember one time that even our good friend Gobbo couldn't get his grid set right. Being in the other room, I toldl him to show me.

"Wait, what was that?"
  "What was what?"
  "That pop-up alert that you just closed?"
  "Huh? Oh... I dunno."

Of course, said alert was a grievous error that he was perpetrating, but nobody actually "reads" or "pays attentions" to alerts, even if something is going wrong and it could convey meaningful information, just as people will not look to the comfortable navigations even if they have a task at mind that -- by all logic -- should be in the log-in.

That's where the FAQ comes in. Help files are pretty constant and a last-resort scenario. I mean, I even had to include a section on how to change passwords in the FAQ just 'cause so many friggin' idiots kept e-mailing me on how (I still get them, but less).
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
Mar 28, 2024 18:52 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022