Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Apr 20, 2024 11:43 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Battling Dragons :: RPG?

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
Kupoling_Katana

Member #238

Jul 12, 2005 20:18
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Okay, I'm stock at a cavern below Poison Plains, I have 50 HP left, and my Basilisk has 1. Wherever I go, I lose the battle, I have no curative spells, and I still remain at the place where I was. HELP!!! I know this is a "I really suck" topic, but I have some RPG questions, and you haven't updated the Help FAQ.

-Pyra Ultima, the Pyrefly Aeon
MintMan

Member #1

Jul 13, 2005 3:23
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Yeah, I kinda had a feeling that the encounter rate was way to high, 'specially down in the caverns.

It is all about how the "random encounters" used to work and how they work now. See, they aren't random. Enemies are actually walking around the map with you.

I used to have it that they would be generated by a forumula, but that proved to be way too little monsters, so I really kicked up the amount of generation. I mean, you could completely exit a scene without one fight!

Then I changed it so that every generation spot would start the scene with a monster at it. Well, that and generating more monsters is proving to be a whole lotta monstas, even with the vast amounts I am lowering monster regeneration.

Then there is the whole thing I added with wandering enemies being able to pounce on players instead of happenstance occupation of the same scene...

So... yeah, big reduction in encounter rate needed and already known. I also think that life regeneration should be kicked up a bit, too. If you don't already know, stepping into Taune City completely restores your entire party.

I would suggest checking to make sure your grid is as good as it can be. Also, try hugging edges in order to avoid encounters.
boyachi

Member #92

Jul 13, 2005 10:14
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Formula? I thought that it was every ten steps you took you were in a battle! At least, that was what happened to me.

My side is dead, my beliefs have been forgotten, my youth has left me and my innocence was slaughtered infront my eyes. Why should I care when it is only my life on the line?
LieutenantEagle

Member #27

Jul 13, 2005 12:52
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Hm...I think the RPG would be amazingly difficult for those who have no healing spells and whose familiars have no healing spells. If it hadn't been for Narotuilindale's Beam and Renewal...and even then, I didn't dare go so far as the caverns...

...however, Decompose is cool Smile

LieutenantEagle
  President of the SMFC
  Super Mario Fan Club
  -----------
  "Border relations between Mexico and Canada have never been better." -President Dubya

Lymfada

Member #214

Jul 13, 2005 16:06
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

For a healing creature the encounter rate is good, cant say for others. I have made it to 4 or 5encounters with some multiple creatures and been fine, though I do retreat into the city a lot.

Lym
  What does not kill you makes you stronger
MintMan

Member #1

Jul 13, 2005 18:58

Well, what you guys are forgetting is that 99% of players suck at the NDR system. Before, when you only had three spells, there wasn't a whole lotta room for any incompetence to show through.

I used to have it where Taune City did not heal you, and I debugged it for quite some time like that. I could get through a good many enounters before having to resort to a debugging loaf.

Here's a prime example (sorry KK): A level 7 Basilisks grid:

Stab (Lvl 1) / Tail (Lvl 1) / PoisonousPresence (Spell, Lvl 2)
  Repel (Lvl 1) / Shatter (Lvl 1) / Burn (Lvl 2)
  Touch (Lvl 1) / Fear (Lvl 1)

Okay, you do not even have to know what those moves do in order to know that is one crap-tastic grid (no offense... well, maybe a little, but it truly is). Why is Burn slotted at level three? You cannot use it that much way up there. More importantly, where is the other spell of your Serpent's, Petrify? No wonder you're dying so much!

Repel is about the only smart thing you have for shplunking in the caves. Your special bar would be good, but you have yet another SL2 technique you are not utilizing. Try this one on fer size:

Stab (Lvl 1) / PoisonousPresence (Spell, Lvl 2)
  Repel (Lvl 1) / Burn (Lvl 2) / Petrify (Spell, Lvl 2)
  Touch (Lvl 1) / Breath (Lvl 2)

Much better moves in use, and it actually makes use of spells. You need to slot spells in order to recharge energy at a normal rate (in normal BD, you cannot even slot above EL1 without a spell in the bar, as mentioned on the RPG main page).

As for your human character... try actually equipping the Old RIng you started with. It has some healing built right into it.

As for a specially-designed grid to get you out of the caves, concentrate on your bans instead. You can switch Breath for Petrify in order to afflict your foe's some; both suck against the common Bassies. Anything not a Ban from your Magic bar is bad usin' down in the caves, so your Magic bar won't miss Petrify if you decide to move it into your second Special slot or even your third in order to get a quick build-up on Breath.

Yeah... I always felt that not having the RPG made people unable to do any sort of strategic thinking for the game that entire year it went dark. Maybe people will start saying "Oh, so that's how you don't lose battles!"
Battalon127

Member #25

Jul 20, 2005 21:59
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Speaking of gridding, is there some way to get detailed information on your abilities, such as what they do and what level they are, besides trial and error? Obviously the familiar's are available by logging on to your account but what about your character's? Also, is the only way to save by entering a new area, because I was halfway into the Poison Plains last night and when I restarted, I was back at the beginning (although that really wasn't much of a set-back).

A few weeks ago my car broke down on the road. I had it pulled over to the side, and there's just smoke pouring out of the motor. A guy stops to see if I'm all right, but he asks the stupid question. He said, "Car break down?" I said, "Nah, car wanted a cigarette, so I pulled over!" Here's your sign. ~Bill Engvall
MintMan

Member #1

Jul 21, 2005 1:03

No, there is no saving mid-place. Save points are only between scenery and automatically between scenery. JavaScript variables cannot be saved; only saved Perl information is, thus why only between transitions.

Yes, there is a way to obtain detailed information in-game. That is what the Status command is for. Its basic use is to get stats, but when used on either character or creature alone, it will provide the full (and usually very long) entire list of techage available.
LieutenantEagle

Member #27

Jul 21, 2005 14:16

Oh, ya, um...another thing. I just looked over my status and realized that Anti does...nothing? What's up with that?

LieutenantEagle
  President of the SMFC
  Super Mario Fan Club
  -----------
  All your base are belong to us.

MintMan

Member #1

Jul 21, 2005 18:12

I apologize to Summoners on the front page; Dispelling isn't in the RPG yet. Neither is curation.

I didn't think that it would not even be listed, tho'. I just thought it would have no effect when used. Huh... that be wacky.
LieutenantEagle

Member #27

Jul 21, 2005 19:02

Yeah...and another thing - will we be able to slot Skills, or is that non-RPG only? Because I'd rather have Flight and Illuminate than Burn and Wing.

So...is Anti a dispelling, then?

LieutenantEagle
  President of the SMFC
  Super Mario Fan Club
  -----------
  "I know what I believe. I will continue to articulate what I believe and what I believe - I believe what I believe is right." -President Dubya

draggy1234

Member #97

Jul 21, 2005 19:53
Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

LE, I think MintMan had coding skills into the RPG on his "to do" list. He said that they had originally been intended for the RPG, so I'm sure they'll be in.
Kupoling_Katana

Member #238

Jul 24, 2005 19:51
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Wow, that is my...um...

Anyway, I don't live BDRPG, I just play a nice 30 min. when I feel like it (unlike Draggy and END). And did you do something with my HP?

-Pyra Ultima, the Pyrefly Aeon

[Editted by Kupoling_Katana on Jul 24, 2005 19:54]
Battalon127

Member #25

Aug 9, 2005 12:07

You're probably already aware of this, but some commands, like 'Unequip' and 'Open' don't work (specifically when trying to unequip my lance or open a certain treasure chest). Glitch, or hasn't-been-coded-yet?

A Elbereth Gilthoniel o menel palan-diriel, le nallon
sí di-nguruthos! A tiro nin, Fanuilos!

MintMan

Member #1

Aug 10, 2005 4:31

What the frink you talkin' 'bout? Of course they work. Or at least, they should. That isn't exactly advanced functionality we're talking about, here.

The lance was apparently botched in the conversion script with an extra parenthesis. Thanks a lot. Now I have to go through and change everybody's Gilded Lance Slanted Mouth

That is a specific thing, but chests not opening? That's just crazy talk. I personally test all of them, and...

... oh come on! Unterminated string? Yet another issue that came about from the same thing that botched the lance -- the revised equip/unequip protocol.

Hopefully, that's the last of it....
Kupoling_Katana

Member #238

Aug 10, 2005 11:32

Also, you should be able to transfer HP levels from BD to BDRPG (i.e. my Basilisk has 165 HP, when in normal BD it had around 270), be able to get XP from BDRPG battles, at least for your person.

* fabricates a fabric *

The Kupoling-Katana, my sword (later changed to the Kupo-Katana)
Sword
MintMan

Member #1

Aug 10, 2005 19:14

Wow, it is nice that you read.

Your monster's life is always forced to your player's; that is because their levels can differ. Well, the RPG would be a sinch if level 10+ people could stomp their way through with one powerful monsters; how much sense does that make. None. That's why your life is always set equal.

And you can get experience. I do believe that is mentioned both in this topic and on the RPG page. Not from battles, but in packets. I rid of the battle-experience system because morons kept asking why they were getting zero experience from battles (stupid non-MUDding morons -- it isn't that difficult!).
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
Apr 20, 2024 11:43 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022