Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Dec 14, 2019 14:10 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Battling Dragons :: New Fledgling

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
Lymfada

Member #214

Feb 27, 2005 13:04
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Hello all,
   I'm proud to announce that little ole Phoenix is growing up. He is now a fledgling. I have to say I like the skills he now has/will be getting.

Lym
  What does not kill you makes you stronger
msanis

Member #7

Feb 27, 2005 23:05
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Hmmm... for a second there, I thought the impossible had happened. I thought you had adopted a phoenix, in which case, my idea would have been fulfilled. It is a shame really, that a creature with such potential isn't already part of BD (or at least in the bestiary), but it seems no one is capable of drawing one. Alas... I still lack a scanner. A shame... a true shame...

Anyway, congratz one the fledgling. They are much better than those bouncing eggs. Big Smile

...And flaming creatures rained down from the skies, engulfing both land and sea aflame. Upon that day, the prophecy was made.
LieutenantEagle

Member #27

Feb 28, 2005 24:21
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Congratulations. You will be seeing a second Bennu fledgling soon enough once Asfaloth reaches Level 25. Smile

...Oh, ya, speaking of Bennus, since I'm planning ahead what should I name my Bennu? I am thinking either Thorondor, Landroval, or Gwaihir...and am inclining towards Thorondor.

Where did I get these names? Read The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, Book Six, Chapter IV: The Field of Cormallen: "There came Gwaihir the Windlord, and Landroval his brother, greatest of all the Eagles of the North, mightiest of the descendants of old Thorondor..."

...However, a Bennu isn't really a windlord...so on second thoughts, maybe a good name would be Fawkes, after Dumbledore's Phoenix?...Or better yet, should I create a unique name, somewhat Elvish yet not ripping the name of an Eagle? Smile

LieutenantEagle
  President of the SMFC
  Super Mario Fan Club
  -----------
  Truth -->
  <-- Bush

MintMan

Member #1

Feb 28, 2005 1:12
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I'm inklin' toward Landroval. The "Thor" prefix makes it sound like it should be a Thunderbird... although the "Land" prefix perhaps could make it sound to be an earth bird Dead Maybe Gwaihir after all...

Fawkes, eh? I would say "nay" to such a name. No one has jumped the Potter train yet, but it cannot be far with how much more common that sorta literary device would be than rare Tolkein names.

Also, it is sort of a cruel play on Guy Fawkes, what with being British and all. Poor Guy. I wonder if there has ever been an investigation into whether or not the bloke was actually guilty before they put 'em on the pyre? I mean, back in those days, they tortured confessions out of people, a method that always found someone guilty... or dead.

Just don't name it after another mythological creature. Sorry, Lymf, but Phoenix is quite possibly the worst name ever. I mean, naming one monster after another? "Hello, this is Cerberus, my Garm." Laaaaaaaame.
  In fact, I have a block against that, but it only works for names featured in the Bestiary Slanted Mouth Maybe I should check against a composite list to prevent future mishaps like this from happening again.
  This sorta thing can lead to some very confusing RPG fights.

"Phoenix attacks the Phoenix. Every is confused! They decide to go for pie instead..."
Lymfada

Member #214

Feb 28, 2005 2:27

Hey now,
   I read the description and it reminded me of well a Phoenix. I never name animals until they earn their names. Since I had to name right away (yes I know there is no getting around that) the name Phoenix seemed natural. If you allow me to now that my little ole Bennu has earned it I can be more creative.

Lym
Rook

Member #112

Feb 28, 2005 10:06
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

On Feb 28, 2005 24:21, LieutenantEagle said:

Congratulations. You will be seeing a second Bennu fledgling soon enough once Asfaloth reaches Level 25. Smile

Speaking of getting new monsters, what's gonna be the next one? It's a close run between the Wyvern and the Salamander, with Wyvern in the lead. Personally, I think we could use a fire monster (probably because I'm obsessed with 'em), and we do have plenty of dragons...

Simpsons characters escaping boat accident:

Mr. Burns: "Stroke! Stroke! Stroke!"

Lenny: "I'm rowing as fast as I can!"

Mr. Burns: "No! I'm having one!"
Cheetarius

Member #10

Feb 28, 2005 18:27
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Firsts: Yeah, we could use some fire beasties.
  Seconds: A Wyvern ain't a stinking dragon. Boggle
  Thirds: Congrats, Lymf!
  Fourths: I would suggest coming up with an original name, Lt. I mean, seriously, everyone tries to use a LoTR name if they can get away with it.

- Cheetarius, Wondering What This Button Does...

[Editted by Cheetarius on Feb 28, 2005 18:29]
Rook

Member #112

Feb 28, 2005 18:34

Cheets! It says it's a dragon in the bestiary description! Look it up!

And thanks fo agreeing with me!

"Sometimes you drink the milk, sometimes the milk drinks you." --Mandy from the Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy

[Editted by Rook on Feb 28, 2005 18:35]
MadGoblin

Member #2

Feb 28, 2005 18:47
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Yeah, Rook, no one can defeat that reasoning. Also, the Chimaera has three heads 'cuz that's what it said at some place and they must have been right.

Back on point, tho', the Wyvern is and always has been a dragon from any description I have ever heard. It's part of the limbed order of dragons:

No limbs: guivre
  Two legs: something with an L at the start
  Wings: Can't... remember now...
  Wings + two legs: wyvern
  Four legs: typically called a drake, methink.
  Four legs and wings: .. dammit! I use to know these all.

Well, looks like my point was ... pointless Wavey Mouth
  Anyhoo, I've never heard of the wyvern being anything but a dragon with a sting on its tail. I mean, it's not a snake (since all things mention the legs and sometimes the build of these legs and area) and its certainly not a bird creature, so I don't even know what else it could even be called.

* is attacked by ravenous hamster-wyverns! *

Ono!

... dragon Slanted Mouth

"See you in hell, candy boys!"
  - Homer, The Simpsons
Lymfada

Member #214

Feb 28, 2005 20:06

So when I get to adopt another creature and if I adopt a Wyvern Dragon would not be the best choice of names lol.

Lym
Ice

Member #46

Mar 1, 2005 1:35
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I think I've still won out with Gluttony, since at his final stage, it'll be "Gluttony the ... Glutton" ?

* Runs like the uses Wind *

(o.o) (c) Ethereal Enterprises, 2004
Sword
Rook

Member #112

Mar 1, 2005 9:41

See? I was right.... for once.... but I've alvays known the Wyvern to be a dragon. Besides, even if it wasn't what Minty says goes on this site. Even if it wasn't draconic, but he said it was, it would be a draconic monster when he finished it.

* uses HeatWave on Cheetarius *

"Surrender now and I will destroy you... peacefully" -- The Regis V
Sword
MintMan

Member #1

Mar 1, 2005 9:49

Well, it is draconic 'cause... y'know... the word "wyvern" is just a deviation on the word "wyrm," which -- as you all may know -- means "dragon."

Even if it is not a "true dragon" (which in all respects is simply a European heraldic dragon since every culture defines a dragon differently), it is still a classification of dragon and thus Draconic type... possibly Poison, too.

Also, why is everyone demanding a fire monster? This entire topic is about the smeggin' Bennu. It is fire. It ain't a beast, but then neither is the Salamander... who really gets more Poison and Fire-Extinguishing things than actual Fire techniques.

And every knows who wins the bad-name contest: Rapidash... the Nidhogg! Just try an' wrap your head around that'un Boggle It hurts something fierce! * uses LandSmite on Ice since he has a familiar name that is cooler than someone else... I think that made sense *
Sword
Rook

Member #112

Mar 1, 2005 10:19

But it is a fire elemental. It possesses dominion over fire, thereby meaning it can both start and stop it. So wouldn't it use fire magic? Also, the Salamander ia cooler lookin'. It also isn't tied to light li9ke the Bennu, instead it is closer to poison.

"You're sitting on my body, which is also my face." --SpongeBob

[Editted by Rook on Mar 1, 2005 10:22]
Cheetarius

Member #10

Mar 1, 2005 23:06

Actually, looking wyvern up, it doesn't say anything about having a root for wyrm... it says it's based off the Latin for viper... Boggle

- Cheetarius, Home-Grown And Brought To You Fresh By Your Local Produce Store...
MintMan

Member #1

Mar 2, 2005 24:16

"Vipera," as your dictionary most likely claims is the Latin root, is in no way the root for Wyvern. While it is true that the old French "wivre" is the derivation for Wyvern and does in fact mean viper, it does not take very much to tell that the words are not even close.

Now, if you pick up an actual book on dragons instead of using the Internet's repeated source-itude or a dictionary (which this is not the first time I have found Merriam-Webster to have a faulty etymology mythological of folklore related), you would learn that Wyvern is derived from a hearty Germanic tongue, which is much more evident if you actually look at the words. (For those that don't know, the letters "w" and "u" in classical languages did not exist for quite some time and were instead represented by just a "v"; this is the reason the old Norse "Orm" in rightful spelling gets translated to all sorts of wacky modifications like "wyrm", "wurm", "worm", and "vurm".)

But still, to entertain the notion, the French root "wivre" comes from our good friend the guivre, which for some reason is supposed to have come from the Latin "vipera". This is evident in the English language if you look at the old Welsh "gwiber". Both terms mean viper, but mostly, they were used to refer to dragons (especially "gwiber" as the Isles did not really have much of any snakes or reptiles, for that matter).
  Thus, a root from "viper" would in fact mean that, in Medieval tongue, the Wyvern was still called a dragon. This is just like how "serpent" should mean a limbless snake but is often used to describe a full, heraldic dragon.

As for the Salamander, it was not really made a being of fire until Paracelsus came along and made the elemental spirits (Gnome, Undine, Sylph, and Salamander). Before that, a Salamander was simply a little dude that, when in the fire, secreted a substance from its spots so cold that it extinguished the flame around it so that it may live.
  I would love to make it true to its super-cold origins, but unfortunately, Ice is hurt by Fire. There really is not room for making a SuperIce element, so I am stuck with the later definition. The later one, by the way, was largely influences by the Basilisk and its ability to scorch the land around it. I do believe this was due to its innate poison.

After Paracelsus, as oft the Medieval people did, a second type of Salamander emerged, one based on the classical origins of cold, and was made up to be a sort of anti-Salamander as the cold was its element, not fire.

[Editted by MintMan on Mar 2, 2005 24:30]
Cheetarius

Member #10

Mar 2, 2005 19:42

Heh, more info than was expected. I'm gonna have to save that arguement.

I wasn't using an i-net dictionary. I was making use of a Webster's that's been lying around the house for a good sight longer than I can recall... Figures.

- Cheetarius LITE, The New & Improved Version, now with Less Caloric Intake!...
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
Dec 14, 2019 14:10 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2019