Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Apr 18, 2024 18:35 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Battling Dragons :: Website question

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
Lymfada

Member #214

Jan 9, 2005 5:03
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Howdy again folks. I'm about to start on my first website. I think ill be fine on the website but I will also want a message board. I have no idea how to do one. Anyone have any suggestions as to a good basic one and what type of hosting would be best for it. Any help would be a big help on this.

Lym
  What does not kill you makes you stronger
LieutenantEagle

Member #27

Jan 9, 2005 11:05
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

First of all, is it a personal website or a fan website? My answers will differ based on that.

I programmed my entire website (Super Mario Fan Club) from HTML code and other simple programming languages. If you do not have this kind of knowledge, I strongly advise you to either use FrontPage or DreamWeaver.

As for who to host with...well, NetFirms, my company, supports FrontPage extensions even at the Free Hosting Plan, I believe, which is something that you may be interested in. Also, if you want to make it a bit more advanced, NF allows Perl...

...Don't use GeoCities unless you have absolutely no idea what FTP is...which isn't that hard a concept at all. HTTP uploads are much worse, and GeoCities is, in my opinion, much less reliable and much more advertisement-prone, something that I entirely dislike about websites.

Some other hosts you may want to consider are StagHosting and CoolFreeHosting.

...Finally, make sure that you are somehow able to modify your HTML code, whatever you use. This is critical for the inclusion of any and all Reality's End material, including Battling Dragons info and Reality's End League things.

With all this said by a person who is not an expert in webmastery, any of the veterans (or newer people, for that matter) have anything of use to add to this?...Oh, and...

* uses Luck on Lymfada to make a great website *

LieutenantEagle
  President of the SMFC
  Super Mario Fan Club
  -----------
  "And one of the things we've got to make sure that we do is anything. -President Dubya

Sword
Lymfada

Member #214

Jan 9, 2005 11:44

I will be using Dreamweaver. I just have no idea how to do a message board.

Lym
MintMan

Member #1

Jan 9, 2005 13:01
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

With that said, let me say don't use DreamWeaver or any other publisher. They suck hard and make just as sucky of websites. Any illiterate monkey could learn basic HTML and create a site one-thousand times better than any of those programs could.

Whether or not you take this advice to heart is none of my concern, but less opinion than actual fact.

As for message boards, to create one, flop out a good ol' thick book on CGI and start learnin' a programming language. If you do not feel like building your own complicated board from scratch (like I did), get a free one from any number of providers. It will be off-site from your actual website, but you will have one.
  Just Google "free message board" or "forum" and a number of different providers should appear. Just steer clear of EZBoard. They sorta kinda suck.

Lastly, why the blutty 'el did you make a post about not BD in the Battling Dragons board?
Lymfada

Member #214

Jan 9, 2005 13:47

prob should have used the RE Classic, I always come to the BD one first though so did not think about it.

Lym
LieutenantEagle

Member #27

Jan 9, 2005 19:06
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Are you comparing me to an illiterate monkey, Mints? Smile

I agree that it is best to keep a 10-kilometer radius from EzBoard. I suffered enough with them....now I use phpBB. Invision looks nice, though.

...That, or you could use the CGI-and-...stuff method to create your message boards, which is perhaps the best method because you do everything by yourself, but also by far the most difficult, and certainly not something for my strengths...at least not at the moment.

...Oh, yeah, and this topic does deserve to be in R.E. Classic.

* fabricates a ForumCompass to help Lymfada figure out which forum to post in *
  * gives Lymfada a ForumCompass *

LieutenantEagle
  President of the SMFC
  Super Mario Fan Club
  -----------
  "And one of the things we've got to make sure that we do is anything. -President Dubya

Sword
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
Apr 18, 2024 18:35 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022