Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Apr 18, 2024 15:27 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Battling Dragons :: Creasture Display Script Questions

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
Ice

Member #46

Dec 10, 2004 5:33
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I have a personal Blog that is checked by most of my friends and a large number of students on the campus at school here, on the rather popular "Xanga" website. Basically seems to be similar to a LiveJournal, except it's what people around here use. Anyways, they support using javascript on your page, except for externally hosted scripts, due to security concerns.

My first question was if anyone knows of some way of working around this to display my creature on my xanga, as it is much more frequently visited than on my main web page and is close to becoming my only personal site. Pretty much, I'm the only one who actually ever goes ot my own homepage, because it's essentially a universal favorites menu plus the RE stuff on there. If not, then oh well, I was just hoping to generate some more activity for my lil' buddy.

Also a separate question, but if two different computers with the same external IP but different internal IPs (ie, two computers on campus, most likely on the same network, being run through a router) were to visit my page with the script on it, would it count that as two hits or would it not be able to tell and count it as the same computer checking the page twice?

Finally, I was wondering if it's possible to put the script on a page to count the hits without actually displaying the creature. I'm guessing not, since the primary purpose is probably just for displaying the creature, but I just figured I'd ask for fun anyways.

°(o.o)° (c) Ethereal Enterprises, 2004
MintMan

Member #1

Dec 10, 2004 20:31
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Okay, that last question is a gimme -- Hel no! I am not running a counter service over here. What's the point of showing how many times a creature was viewed if it is not actually being viewed?
  And if you meant the creature was to get experience from the ordeal as well, you'd be insane.

I don't care if two different computers view the thing; IP is all I log. Boo-frickin'-hoo for you Tongue Get a wider audience.
  Tracking more than IP would, well, require tracking more than IP. I like keeping one list of one value, thankyouverymuch.
  And to be frank, on my campus, every single computer has a different IP on it. I do not know how big your place is or how tech-savvy it is, so I could not infer the same is true for you.

If external scripts are not allowed, then I do not really see any sort of way you can have the creature viewed. I mean, you could obtain a copy of the HTML output or even the straight JavaScript for that matter, but without being invoked, you will collect no experience, have no pictoral randomization, and never update upon creature advancement.
  So pretty much... don't do that.

So, the only way to display a creature is to... use the creature display code. Brain hurt now Dead
Ice

Member #46

Dec 13, 2004 20:04
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I hate it when common sense prevails. As for the campus, we're a small school and they don't like us using their prescious resources. Everything but IMs and Webpages are blocked. And I realize this is all my own fault and not something you can change or would change, thus I was not asking for something that silly.

Thanks for reminding me that at the end of reality, common sense always prevails, especially when it's least fortuitous to do so.

* uses CurseBless on MintMan for this mixed curse/blessing *

Ah, crap, I just got docked one gajillion experience points!

°(o.o)° (c) Ethereal Enterprises, 2004

[Editted by Ice on Dec 13, 2004 20:17]
Sword
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
Apr 18, 2024 15:27 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022