Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Aug 23, 2019 16:06 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Battling Dragons :: Is it just me...

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2  3 
MMZero

Member #200

Nov 17, 2004 13:42
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I just noticed, in my last battle against Culex's Shadow, that the battles are beginning to take absurdly long. I coulda swore that battle took almost a week. Is it just me, or the server, or what? I need to know! My mental health is at stake!
boyachi

Member #92

Nov 17, 2004 15:19
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

yea, every so often I'll check on the battle after a span of five hours and nothing will have happened. It's not just you, although coming from me, you still don't have much hope.

The New Dawn has risen. Are you the one to unlock it?
LieutenantEagle

Member #27

Nov 17, 2004 17:56
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

My last battle against Overlord didn't seem so long...maybe BD just doesn't like you guys Smile

...That, or something absurdly beyond the limited understanding of my developing brain.

LieutenantEagle
  President of the SMFC
  Super Mario Fan Club
  -----------
  "At this Thursday, ticket counters and airplanes will fly outta Ronald Reagan airport." -President Dubya

MintMan

Member #1

Nov 17, 2004 19:25
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Well, Eagle, that is what I would like to call a "lie".

One side's monster has to act at least once within four hours, so something has to go on in that period. You may not act within five because you have a really slow Monoceros.

As for you, Culex, battles are not taking longer; you are just fighting stupidly. Your first stupid decision: pitting Nidhogg against Nidhogg. Two high arcane, low virtue Dark elementals?

From the looks of your battle log, both sides laid it on heavy with Devour (a healing tech), Drain (a very weak damaging tech that alters Arcane, but really sorta cancels out when your foe does it, too), and Shadow Blast.

Shadow Blast is crap. Somewhat-injuring is not what you want to get out of a level four tech. You probably would have, quite frighteningly, been better off using Penace.

Mortifer doesn't help the Arcane situation, either.

Under old rules of BD, battles could have taken so long if people fought as stupidly; however, they were forced to doing damage after magic ran out. Pretty much, lots of options can either help or hurt, and typically, they hurt as people... um, don't read.

So fight things that are not Nidhoggs, or at least, like, Curse or Penace or something, maybe concentrate more on the physical side.
LieutenantEagle

Member #27

Nov 17, 2004 23:04
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Wait, wait...were you talking to me about the slow Monoceros and the fact that it takes over five hours for an action? It doesn't take me that long...and Asfaloth is by far not slow, especially after Charge and Gallop.

By the way, has my battling strategy for Asfaloth improved a little? Since I learned Purify, which I should have done long ago, I've begun to actually win battles - against Nidhoggs just like you said should obviously happen.

LieutenantEagle
  President of the SMFC
  Super Mario Fan Club
  -----------
  The best Mario club, only for the best Mario fans!
MadGoblin

Member #2

Nov 17, 2004 23:19

My personal experience is that no matter what you do, no matter how smart you do it, luck shall throw you off her lap and deficate on your face anyways.

The battle between FlopHop and Usagi begins! FlopHop uses ten Agility raisers! Usagi does not care and CH's anyways while FlopHop is the one to miss three times in the match before losing! You suck!

On topic? Maybe not. Maximum suckage? Yes!

"... it was full of bees."
  "Full of C's more like it. ... Sorry."
  ~ Lost, regarding a woman's shirt
MintMan

Member #1

Nov 18, 2004 18:34

A Monoceros without a ban is what I would like to call "worthless." I see that a lot of Mono-users have Scream slotted.... don't. Scream would be useful against, like, other Monoceroses and... Bennus?
  Purify, on the other hand, r0xx0rz just about any foe and usually creams them, 'specially if you can get its other effect to attain purpose.

Yeah, Gobbo, you just have the suck-luck. Quit complainin', tho', 'cause that was just a tourney battle.
  I can weight Agility and Strike all I want, but no matter what, criticals and misses will always have a one percent chance, and even tho' you should see the other ninety-nine times outta the hundred, what it all comes down to is will-it or won't-it.

Boo, luck. It is just like my even more off-topic fried noodles... 'cause they're all fried... in fat... and stuff.
  Typically, tho', a bunny battle will come down too close to call.

What really makes this situation sad is that you have a slew of boosts in your Strike to try and prevent just this sort of situation -- luck ain't your suit, Gobbo. Try excelling in places you can't fail Tongue
LieutenantEagle

Member #27

Nov 18, 2004 20:03

Something like beer consumption, for example. There Gobbo can't fail.

I learned of the pathetic-ness of Scream the hard way, unfortunately. Then again, when I was choosing my techs I had no idea what exactly was the difference between Cast and Banishment...

By the way, if & when I level up, what should I get next? Should I learn the skill Break or a level-2 physical attack in Gallop's stead?

LieutenantEagle
  President of the SMFC
  Super Mario Fan Club
  -----------
  "When you have your own money, it means you've got more money to spend."-President Dubya

MMZero

Member #200

Nov 18, 2004 20:47
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

What is this "strat-uh-jee" you speak of? I know nothing of the sort. Is it some sort of cream filled danish?

* fabricates a CreamDanish *

I thought using Arcane boosting stuff and ShadowBlast was a good strat... ^_^;;

LieutenantEagle reminded me of a problem I've been having, I think... You see, whenever I am allowed to obtain new skills and techs (this goes for both Raishoom and Tienkuu) some of the skill options are greyed out and I am not able to select them. Why is this? Is it possible that Battling Dragons has something against me? Have I somehow angered the almighty spirits of Reality's End? Am I simply not understanding how this game functions? Either way, I want answers before I have to, err...whine and complain some more...

[Editted by MMZero on Nov 18, 2004 20:49]
Sword
MintMan

Member #1

Nov 18, 2004 22:14

Yeah, well, not reading is your fault, Eagle. I had the FAQs up quite early and huge explainations in these forums. I mean, considering that they are complete opposites of each other, they are a good thing to read up on, especially since it was not like before with simple physical and magical damage -- I know of no other game that uses this kind of system (which is exactly why I brought it back).

Wait, you do not have an SL 2 physical attack on a Monoceros? This I gotta see. * goes and sees * Well I'll be buggered, ya don't Laughing I guess you also did not read that entire thing on how SL2 ends up being the most-used level, did you? Missed out on a lot not reading.
  Break can take a backseat to the more pressing SL2 Attack. It can be full-on damage or part defense-reduction, but ya needs it, man.

Arcane boosting and Blasting? Good strategy... against everything except another Nidhogg!... and prolly a Jabberwock Slanted Mouth Pretty much any other Dark-elemental, and I say that only because all of them inheritly have high Arcane, which is also bad to cast against.

Grayed out boxes? That's simple... you can't learn them. You do not yet meet a certain requirement, so getting that tech is out of the question. I do a real nice job of keeping people guessing what said requirement is, and I shall tell you this right now -- some are quite literally impossible to get and only included for future additions to BD to unlock.
  Don't I suck Big Smile
MMZero

Member #200

Nov 19, 2004 16:01

On Nov 18, 2004 22:14, MintMan said:

Grayed out boxes? That's simple... you can't learn them. You do not yet meet a certain requirement, so getting that tech is out of the question. I do a real nice job of keeping people guessing what said requirement is, and I shall tell you this right now -- some are quite literally impossible to get and only included for future additions to BD to unlock.
  Don't I suck Big Smile

Hey, at least you said it, not me. Tongue

I was wondering this because my Ryu Carp is able to learn Healer. It is a level 2 spell, which I already have a few of, and its color is that of the "greyed-out" variety. Obviously, a healing spell would help me out greatly in battles, but due to your smelly poopie headedness, I cannot obtain it until I fulfill some hidden prerequisite.
MintMan

Member #1

Nov 19, 2004 18:36

Okay, Healer is of the grayed-out variety because you cannot learn any more techs. I found it easier to simply forbid the apparent selection of techs when you were out of points instead of having morons submit the form only to be told that they are allowed no more.

The opposite is happening quite a bit now since people can obviously not figure out what a grayed-out tech means without any selection mechanism next to it.

You just need to master spells to learn more techs, and why exactly are you level seven without Courage learnt? Dude! C'mon! Only one SL2 tech? That is The Suck.

Requirements to learn techniques are only strange when your level gets high up there... typically, spells are the key.

So, you're fighting Stone87, eh? Kick his butt, good!... if you can. You really do not stand much of a chance without both of your spells Slanted Mouth Even if you did not use Courage, at least it would boost the amount of energy you have.

Slot WaterSpout above Frost in SL2 to stand at least a bit of a chance. If you had Bolt, that would truly be the best -- Thunder would seriously own Hydras.

[Editted by MintMan on Nov 20, 2004 13:05]
MMZero

Member #200

Nov 21, 2004 12:45

Well, I think I'm doing good. Whenever I use WaterSpout, the battle log records it as, "Rock87 is blasted by the casting" and "Rock87 is wounded by the casting."

Man, I really need to know how much HP that guy has...

And I couldn't learn Courage. It has always been greyed-out. I tells ya, it wasn't my fault!
MadGoblin

Member #2

Nov 21, 2004 16:17

Blasted is some good damaging, but "wounded"? That's more of a mediocre descriptor, I do believe, like "is hit by" and such.

Heh. Just from a general lookie at yer carp, I'm pretty sure I know why you can't get the Courage tech, but I'll never tell! Mwahahahahahahaaaaaaaaahahahahaa!

"Chubby? I'm not chubby! This here is fat!"
  - Coop, Low Brow... er, Megas XLR
MintMan

Member #1

Nov 21, 2004 16:50

Not having Water Spout mastered was all that kept him from learning Courage. A monster can only learn one new spell at a time.

My guess is that since most of your experience came from your web site, you had little time to train up your spell and could not master it by the last time you had a tech available to learn. Sucky.

Hmmm, interesting strategy against Rock, but I wonder if it will work. He is not using any Water techs against you, which would have come in handy for your Swim skill. Scales and Dive seem a bit odd together -- no other damage than Water Spout? I think with as little physical damage being dealt to you, you could have spared to use Flipper instead of Scales.

We shall see... * to cheer him on, uses Spirit MMZero * Go, anti-Rock!
Sword
LieutenantEagle

Member #27

Nov 21, 2004 17:35

Umm....

To find out how much max HP the guy has, just search for Rock87 on Search Users. If you want to know how much HP he has in the battle, then...I guess you can just take your shot at guessing how much damage is dealt.

Good luck in your battle!

* uses Luck on MMZero *

LieutenantEagle
  President of the SMFC
  Super Mario Fan Club
  -----------
  "When you have your own money, it means you've got more money to spend."-President Dubya

Sword
MMZero

Member #200

Nov 21, 2004 18:26

Well, I can assume that I lost this battle. I've got 25 HP left and he just keeps restoring his blasted health...

So what your saying is that the only reason I couldn't learn Courage is because of my WaterSpout practice rating? Ugh... Well, I'll be able to learn it now...

And, you were saying that Swim is useless unless they were using Water or Marine techs? Well, I dunno if this is it, but during the battle this message has been showing up:

"Tienkuu's swims with the current. Tienkuu's Agility went up." and "Tienkuu's swims with the current. Tienkuu's Speed went up."

Is that Swim taking effect? It occurs everytime I have used Scales and Dive.
MadGoblin

Member #2

Nov 21, 2004 18:39

Er, yeah... that's what I thought it would be. I was right, and not grossly wrong Shifty Eyes

Hydras do suck. I still hold the belief that either healing techs or Regeneration are too powerful. I mean, they just never stop!

Yes, MMZ, when it says, "____ swims with the current", or "____ leaps through the air" or "_____ digs a hole" or something like that followed by an effect, that is a skill at work.
  Skills: the stuff that wins matches.

* maniacally laughs as FlopHop uses SL 1 Fear every other turn and reaps the advantages of boosted Agility *

Lair of Mad Goblin - Because sanity is a chore.
boyachi

Member #92

Nov 21, 2004 18:58

I have to say that knowing someone's HP to the point of battle would be nice, not just the max but what it is down to, even though I know my @$$ will probably be kicked this battle.

The New Dawn has risen. Are you the one to unlock it?
MintMan

Member #1

Nov 21, 2004 21:48

I never said Swim was worthless; I just said you could get more out of it if your opponent was also using Water techs on you; then you would get a lot more Speed/Agility ups.
  So, yeah, you are supposed to see those messages; you could be seeing more if Stone87 actually used some its Water techs.

And healing is not unstoppable; sure, he does it a lot, but, like, only five points are being recovered each time. Figure in the fact that it is an entire turn not attacking and low, low Virtue, and healing ain't that good for Hydrae.
  Healing cannot be "too powerful," either, as it uses the same formulae as attacking; so the most it can be is an anti-damage, typically just slowing battle unless, y'know, someone does something intelligent with it.
  If you had been Flippering it every turn, or if you had, like, a Ban or something, things would have went better.

For the most part, your fate was sealed with the challenge; something that mostly attacks with a Water Casting versus a high Arcane Water monster? Yeeeeeee. Not good.
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2  3 
Aug 23, 2019 16:06 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2019