Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Apr 24, 2024 7:09 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Battling Dragons :: BDv4 & Change Your Account Name

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
MintMan

Member #1

Aug 30, 2004 12:28
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

* uses the technique Ward to keep bugs away *
  Whew, tragedy averted. 'Tis nothing. I just used an old variable to say who was healed in an attack, and since it was uninitialized, it defaulted to zero and just spewed Asfaloth's name instead of the one who was actually healed (thus the reason I never caught it since my 'hogg would always be in index zero).

Got that fixed up. It was still Hithop that was healed and not Asfaloth by the tech.

I gotta say, Eagle, your fight is going a lot better than the only other one 'tween Ice and Thacarious. They keep using the exact same status-modifying techs, and have long since maxed out those statistics. I still dunno what is up with Ice and using so many Dews... Raishoom has not done one thing to effect his status yet.

You dudes, tho', are keeping a good mix of things. The only problem I see thus far (other than that mixed-up name in healing) is that I still have battles going their normal four-hour-turn pace; that shoulda been bumped up what with the new crazy things all abound.

"Dr. Hara, you need some tea."
  "No I'm not."
  Drunken professors at sushi bars rock.
Sword
Ice

Member #46

Aug 30, 2004 19:22
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

So wait... what do the coloured numbers mean? I figured they meant something, but I knew not what.

* uses the technique Curse *

°(o.o)° (c) Ethereal Enterprises, 2004
Sword
draggy1234

Member #97

Aug 30, 2004 20:00
Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I think red numbers signify decreased stats while purplish colored numbers signify raised stats.

* uses the technique Guardhit on because I still hate problems coming up *
Sword
LieutenantEagle

Member #27

Aug 30, 2004 20:13
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Argh....is healing also meant to be a chance thing?

I mean, usually, in most RPGs I know, if you try to heal yourself, there's no problem with it.

LieutenantEagle

President of the SMFC
  Super Mario Fan Club

-----------
  Truth -->
  <-- Bush
MintMan

Member #1

Aug 30, 2004 20:13
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Huway! Dwaggy's smart!

Life is also color-coded, although it has more ranges of color than stats do. Red for danger, a grayish for medium-low, blue for the upper half, and a bright, bright color for above full, which actually can happen Boggle I sorta realized that if the web-vantage I think I programmed in works, monstas are gonna be getting waaa-a-a-a-ay too much bonus. * tries not to worry about it and picks a virtual INeedHelpTicket peacefully *

EDIT DUE TO RAPID-ADDITION: No, Healing is not a chance thing Healing is just.... healing.
  Curation sorta has some chance built into it, but recovering damage is just plain ol' plain old. As was already said, a bugged old variable name made Asfaloth appear to be the one to be healed.

DOUBLE EDIT: Wait... lemme guess.... you used a Curation tech instead of a Healing tech and got confused, didn't you?
  You cure afflictions, such as diseases. You heal wounds and damage.
  Curation gets rid of negative status conditions. It reduces all current negative effects on the player by its spell level, and any left, it has a chance of getting rid of. Asfaloth had no afflictions placed on it, so Remedy was a no-show.

ONE FINAL EDIT: Ice.... stop increasing your speed!

[Editted by MintMan on Aug 30, 2004 20:22]
Sword
LieutenantEagle

Member #27

Aug 30, 2004 21:13
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Hmm..argh! That's not very good...I need to alter my AI asap. You see, I keep getting confused because FF2 had Heal as the status repellant and Cure as the damage removal.

LieutenantEagle

President of the SMFC
  Super Mario Fan Club

-----------
  Truth -->
  <-- Bush
MintMan

Member #1

Aug 30, 2004 21:26

Actually, every Final Fantasy does that, but here is something else you should check out about FF that I know is in most of their games (and I quite often mock this fact, too):

Cure: Heals damage.
  Heal: Cures status ailments.

.... that is actually what the game says! Gaaaaaaaaay!

Also, you said "heal" in your post instead of "cure" Big Smile Yes, the confusion about this sorta thing always runs deep. I guess you have to think more about the name of the tech in FF terms -- Remedy is always a status-curer, never an HP replinisher.
LieutenantEagle

Member #27

Aug 30, 2004 22:42

I guess I'll just have to remember Banon from FFIII, who had the ability "Health" which replenished HP. Another way to remember is by remembering the "H" in "HP".

Um, MintMan, I was wondering, would it be possible to somehow speed up battles while constraining the proportions of time between attacks? (i.e. not four hours and three hours respectively, but 120 and 90 minutes) Because with all the new cures/heals, and the lengthy system, battles may take up to months to complete if grids are well-chosen.

LieutenantEagle

President of the SMFC
  Super Mario Fan Club

-----------
  Truth -->
  <-- Bush
MintMan

Member #1

Aug 30, 2004 23:48

Yet again, I have already mentioned how I need to speed up battles from the previous values, but it has nothing to do with healing.

Increasing speed won't help with that; monsters would just heal themselves up faster and still stick things in a near-endless loop. There ain't much healin' either, as you can only use a healing tech so often with the grid system.
Ice

Member #46

Aug 31, 2004 2:38
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Wait, wait... WHAT!?

Curation doesn't give back health!?

Argh!

But... but I thought... *mutters*

Damn. I don't need anywhere near ths many curations. I should have looked back to see the definition of everything before I set my stupid grid. All 3 of my Level 1 attacks are non-damaging, and only 1 of my Level 2 is damaging... so of course that's the one where my ultimate Casting of a different type is, right?

Damn. I'm most certainly gonna lose, aren't I?

* uses the technique Spawn *

Sword
MintMan

Member #1

Aug 31, 2004 10:03

Umm... you have Spittle. That is Spell Level One and damaging.

Now, as for SL 2, you got nuthin' (Foam, Gallop, and Serenity) to do damage with, which is really sucky 'cause that level is what you are supposed to use most. (On the topic of SL 2 techs, does Mista still have open slots, 'cause a new one -- Blizzard -- was added recently.)

In three, you have two damaging techs, but I think they are both Castings.

Your problelmo is that you did not bring one Banish with you to the table, despite bringing a Virtue raising tech. What sense does that make? I mean, Nidhogg's lowest Virtue + highest Arcane = Dead to three Banishments. Even if you would have slotted Frost, that guy would be dead.

But no. You use Castings. The thing that Nidhogg's low Vir + hi Arc makes him the absolute most resistance monster in the game to. I know I have discussed Casting vs Banishment in older posts, and I know it has been in the FAQ since challenges were allowed.

As for Curation, 'tis the same thing that your Crescent Cure did and Dewfall did way back when in the old version. I mean, Hrimfaxi's are the champions of Curation; how could you forget what it did?

EDIT: DUUUUUUUDE! Fuggin' change your AI, Ice! It is not too late. Just quit curin' so durn much! It is really easy to change your AI; just freakin' log-in and click "Add or Alter AI"!

[Editted by MintMan on Aug 31, 2004 11:04]
draggy1234

Member #97

Aug 31, 2004 19:38
Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Doesn't the FAQ say that stats can't be changed beyond 10 points of the base value? My battle is currently saying that Hithop's arcane was brought to a maximum at 6 points above the base.

EDIT: My luck seems rather bad...both my shadowburners missed. Frown

[Editted by draggy1234 on Aug 31, 2004 19:45]
LieutenantEagle

Member #27

Aug 31, 2004 20:32

Heh heh...my agility seems rather good Smile

By the way, does the speed upgrade on Charge work only if the target is hit? Somehow it doesn't seem logical that someone would speed up only after hitting a target; according to my physics books, elastic collisions decrease the speed of the object...and ramming someone seems to be an elastic collision.

Begin Physics Lesson
  A perfectly elastic collision is a collision in which two bodies collide and then rebound, reverting to their usual shape. A perfectly inelastic collision is a collision in which one body sticks to another after the collision, i.e. an arrow. If a collision fits under neither category, it is called an inelastic collision (not perfectly inelastic).
  End Physics Lesson

LieutenantEagle

President of the SMFC
  Super Mario Fan Club

-----------
  Truth -->
  <-- Bush

[Editted by LieutenantEagle on Aug 31, 2004 20:33]
draggy1234

Member #97

Aug 31, 2004 21:37

MM, just a side suggestion: maybe you'd want to change the battle info page a bit so it includes the word "level" or some variation of that word on the description of the familiar. My battle info page says "Hithop, the 17 nidhogg hatchling". Big Smile
Sword
MintMan

Member #1

Aug 31, 2004 22:21

Lemme guess, you boosted your famliar after the challenge was issued? The battle data recorded used the boost amount snap-shot'd at the challenge time, not what came about later. I could do that another way, but that would not bode well will skills and other freakish additions.
  Go ahead and check once your Mortifers run out; your base Arcane is thirty-one, not thirty-five.

Missing twice... yeah, that can happen, especially when Agility goes up. As soon as it returned to normal, ya hit. I mean, Legendary boosted it up four points, and I think Eagle had shoved some boosts on it at that.

Also, if a technique misses, it is considered to have failed, even if an upper. That is to make it fair with negative-status inducing techs.
  Don't think of your example. Think of, like, stumbling off footing to a miss.

Also, silly Eagle, you should know that there is no such thing as an elastic collision; it is a physical impossibility that can only closly be reached at the atomic level.
Ice

Member #46

Aug 31, 2004 22:31

Hey, don't yell at me for the Curations... it's the only thing I can do to be able to use any of my damaging techs. As for the Banishment vs. Castings, I was acting like my typical self and just jumped in without figuring out what would be the smart way to play. fter all, my entire Power row has not a single damaging tech in it. In fact, there aren't even *different* techs! They're all either curation of speed increase. So I've been using curations instead of speed increases 'cause I don't think he has anything to lower my speed. And if he does, then oh well. The damned battle has been long enough as it is... hopefully the rematch will not go quite as long.

LieutenantEagle

Member #27

Sep 1, 2004 24:50

Yes, yes, I know that. I just thought it would be too much for Ice to understand, so I just left it at the theoretical level. Smile

By the way, why did draggy say that the second one missed? Or was that the third one that delivered the mortal blow?

LieutenantEagle

President of the SMFC
  Super Mario Fan Club

-----------
  Truth -->
  <-- Bush
Ice

Member #46

Sep 1, 2004 11:51

Actually, Eagle, from the description of the attack that you gave (object hits, rebounds, and actually gains speed) it would still not be an elastic collision. However, to achieve this effect, the monster which got hit should also have his speed reduced, because it would have to have been moving *and* passed some of it's speed onto the creature which attacked.

Another explanation could be if the monster that was attacking was actually moving towards the opponent by rolling on the ground. However, it would have to be rolling backwards initially in order to gain speed after the collision.

LieutenantEagle

Member #27

Sep 1, 2004 13:53

...Which even moreso shows that Charge is quite a strange tech. Ah well.

By the way, does Alicorn become "ultimately attack" after Level 20? I'm just wondering...and I'm also guessing that Kyoufuu and ConcealForm are also both "strongly cast/increase agility" until LV20, or something like that, at which point it becomes "ultimately".

LieutenantEagle

President of the SMFC
  Super Mario Fan Club

-----------
  Truth -->
  <-- Bush
Sword
draggy1234

Member #97

Sep 1, 2004 19:46

Awww, I really should've changed my AI one turn earlier! Now in order to win I have to:

1. Survive Asfaloth's next move, and hopefully not be killed by a banishment.
  2. Hope my shadowburner hits, that Asfaloth's life is in the red, and that it will do enough damage. Dead

Just decided to put my analysis down on a post so I won't forget about it.

And, I have a question for MM. Do sparring matches also contribute to the spell practice rating, or only normal battles?

(Man, I have been posting a lot more lately... Slanted Mouth )
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
Apr 24, 2024 7:09 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022