Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Apr 25, 2024 8:13 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Battling Dragons :: BDv4 & Change Your Account Name

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
Ice

Member #46

Aug 20, 2004 10:42
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Impossible!?

...How rare. And to think that I thought I'd get an explanation of why I'm not good enough to get it. Pah. Since you described the effect of Ferry (which I just happen to not be able to learn right yet... actually, nix that, I had just not known the correct tech beforehand.) would you care to tell me what Celestial and/or Nightvision do? Hrm, this is interesting... it would appear that right now I have exactly enough tech points to learn every possible tech in my list *except* Skinfaxi. However, seeing as how that's a super-secret-special move, I think I'll probably just save a few tech points to be sure that I can learn it once I've got the rest of the requirements for it out of the way.

Another question, this time of one of my skills... NightBringer vs. FrostWave. From what I recall earlier, since Nightbringer = Moderate Cast x2 and Frostwave = Untimate Cast x1, they should in theory do the same amount of damage, correct? (Ignoring the elemental alignments) Why is it then, that Nightbringer attacks twice to give the same amount of damage? Is there some advantage to attacking that way as opposed to doing it the FrostWave way?

°(o.o)° (c) Ethereal Enterprises, 2004
MintMan

Member #1

Aug 20, 2004 12:58
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Double moderate? What th- achem! That ain't quite right. Bringer hasn't changed from what it was previously; that second one is supposed to be a Strike reduction.
  I must have just copied the string for the group effect and value and forgot to replace "Cast" with "Strike Down" tokens.

Nothing in BD will ever do more than one set of damage -- of the same type or otherwise. It would just botch everything up.

Celestial increases base speed, differing from Flight in that it is a larger bonus but has no potential to increase like the latter does.
  Nightvision very smally increases Strike and reduced Dark-spells reduction of Strike and Agility. It's big-un' effects come in with the negation of weather condition's Strike and Agility mods.
Lugiatrainer

Member #20

Aug 24, 2004 23:57
Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Whee! New techs to learn, I think I'll pay more attention to my famillar now that I can set up a better strategy. ^_^

As for needing a new FAQ before any challenges, I'd be happy to jump right in with no clue what's going on. Nervous
MintMan

Member #1

Aug 25, 2004 24:30
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Yeah, strategy rocks. Let us see what you chose...

.... uh-huh, picked a good variety of weak techs. Good decision. Many people are thrown off by "weak" and steer clear. I should make the Grid/AI setting terminology of "minor" universal for Spell Level One rather than the negative-connoted "weak".

Ooooh, two SL2 castings. Can a Jabb'wock egg get anything else much 'sides those?.... nope, guess not. You'll only ever be able to slot one of those at a time, but 'tis all good. You can Flame it up against Hrimfaxis and Confuse it up against the three monsters that are not Dark Wink Dunno what you are gonna do against Dew Drops.... they kinda got the drop on you, know?

Waitaminute, you could get Confusion and its Dark typed? Uh-oh, that violates a rule of no-learn-same-thing-as-one-of-your-spell-ness. Maybe Confusion was supposed to have an additional effect of Arc/Vir Lowering.... or be Mind typed instead of Dark.

Yeah, I say the FAQ is the only reason, but little things like what was stated above are also keeping from the battle release. I just found out, like, five minutes ago that Hydras and Basilisk were seriously deficient in Speed -- of which their Eggs had zero Dead No map-markers in the battle data and disappearing starting energy.

I would like to get as much of these flukes found out before youse guys start putting your win records on the line.
  But don't worry; you will still be fightin' blind even with a guide up Wink It will take a lot more than a complete, serialized explaination to get this system down!
Lugiatrainer

Member #20

Aug 25, 2004 12:31
Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Uh, I just learned all of the techs available to learn, using up the learning points exactly.

Oh, and confusion DOES seem like it would be better as a mind based attack...

That and that'd give me another type of attack to use! ^_^

[Editted by Lugiatrainer on Aug 25, 2004 14:43]
Ice

Member #46

Aug 27, 2004 11:28
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

So for skills, dows that mean that we don't have to choose to use them, they're just automatic? Because if that's the case, then I'm learning every single one of mine (I already learned 2/3 of them, but nevermind that). And I've also made my first challenge of the new system and have a question. Howabouts does someone go and know about how many attacks to program into your battle? And if you don't do enough, then what happens?

MintMan

Member #1

Aug 27, 2004 11:47

Yeah.... yeah..... Jabberwock does not get much. Of course, you are still an egg. Once you hatch, you can get all of the wing-and-claw... and-tail-sorta techs... and eyes. Wow, eggs suck. Good thing I added that new variable-hatch formula... but it won't help you with your valor and win ratio Slanted Mouth

Made yer challenge, eh? Good on you... I guess.
  Skills are not automatic; they have to be slotted, and then they instantly function. Ya gotta slot 'em first, and right-about-nows, you cannot do that. Since skills were never really part of BD anyway, that is not much of a loss.
  I wanna get Relics in before I get skills all nice and cozy, and those are going to be a pain Dead Mjolnir and the like can no longer function as they once had.

As for the new AI, much has changed, and much has stayed exactly the same.
  For the same, it is still the old run-out-of-commands-start-using-random-ones system. People always get the sneaking suspision that if their AI runs out, their monster will no longer act. No. That is just stupid, and it would open season up for cheaters, too.

However, because of the grid system, you cannot simply stand around using the same command all day; you can only use a spell once in a row anymore. I have witnessed that battles usually take about twenty turns, and you can program up to thirty in the AI. Enter that many, and it stops ya from putting in more.
  If that is not enough, you can always come back anytime within the next five days before it runs out and supply more.
Ice

Member #46

Aug 28, 2004 2:56

* brings forth ProblematicMonster *

So yeah, more bugs for you.

With the challenges... go take a look here:
  http://s92889246.onlinehome.us/
  Lovely battle page, isn't it? Looks like someone forgot to add the formatting and content for that, eh?

MintMan

Member #1

Aug 28, 2004 11:00

What the carp is all this then?

You challenge has not even been accepted, and it is acting like you are in battle? This sorta thing never happened when I viewed all of my little test beastlies.... or at least I dinnae think.

At any rate, whaddayamean "more bugs"? This is the first real one to come by! * uses the technique LandSmite on ProblematicMonster to show it whose boss *

[Editted by MintMan on Aug 28, 2004 11:16]
Sword
Ice

Member #46

Aug 28, 2004 12:00

The thing wih the double moderate attack was the first bug, I thought. Or was I wrong and not? Anyhow, thanks for getting it cleared up.

MadGoblin

Member #2

Aug 28, 2004 12:29

What?!?! You mean, that whole crummy not-in-battle-but-its-acting-like-I-am bug wasn't already known by Ems? Dangsit! Writer and I caught that, like, 24 hours ago! I just assumed it was one of those temp errors that was in the process of being dealt with. I mean, how could Mint not see it? ... Well, I guess, apparently, he could and did. ... dang.
LieutenantEagle

Member #27

Aug 29, 2004 13:36
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Wow...I leave on a vacation trip to Calgary and when I return, version 4.0 is out? Smile

Anyway, that's one nice job you did, MintMan. I really like this new system more than the old one. I just challenged draggy1234 to see if there will be any glitches in battle - if there will be any, I will be sure to tell you.

Oh, and thanks for changing my username to the way it's supposed to be. Life is much easier now.

Cheers,

LieutenantEagle

President of the SMFC
  Super Mario Fan Club

-----------

Truth -->

<-- Bush
draggy1234

Member #97

Aug 29, 2004 13:46
Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

LE, I'd like to accept your challenge, but every time I attempt to log in to my BD account, I keep getting a HTTP 500 Internal Server Error. So most likely I won't be able to for some time. Frown

* uses the technique Guardhit on because it seems to be responsible for this *
Sword
MintMan

Member #1

Aug 29, 2004 14:06

Stupid ProblematicMonster! It is causing yet another error!

Anywho, there was nothing wrong with the login; you just happened to get on at the very moment I was uploading files. There was an error for, like, thirty seconds which was very promptly removed.

You people... can't you, like, choose any of the other one thousand four hundred and forty minutes in a day to get on-line?

And don't expect any big problems, LE. I have been debugging it extensively using Zig and a copy of Asfaloth. (PS: Zig is winnin' Wink ever since I got rid of the use-attacker's-defense-instead-of-target's bug Shifty Eyes )

Oh yeah, a big "welcome back" to LE. Let us examine his a-monstas!

.... eww, Asfaloth looks a li'l screwy. At Energy Level Two, you got two stat-modifiers and a casting -- no attacks (you know, physical damage)! Looks like you are gonna have to rely more heavily on your big EL 3 techs, which you are luckily abound with.

McBlur looks a lot better off. Then again, Kamaitachi's do not have much techs at all; you may have taken them all, come to think about it Shifty Eyes

[Editted by MintMan on Aug 29, 2004 14:12]
LieutenantEagle

Member #27

Aug 29, 2004 23:11
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

* fabricates a SidewinderBlade to bring forth heavy damage to ProblematicMonster *

Yeah, I wasn't too wise in setting up my grid. I guess I'll be modifying it after my battle with Hithop, which will most likely be a loss.

By the way, have you added relics to the system yet? Because if so, I wonder why I don't see any on my account.

Oh, wait...I don't have any relics. Laughing

LieutenantEagle

President of the SMFC
  Super Mario Fan Club

-----------

Truth -->

<-- Bush
Sword
MintMan

Member #1

Aug 29, 2004 23:20

No, relics and skills are not yet in the AI feature yet.... yet.

Did I not mention that earlier? *looks*

I wanna get Relics in before I get skills all nice and cozy, and those are going to be a pain Dead Mjolnir and the like can no longer function as they once had.

Yep, I mentioned how they are not yet in. Lern to read, boy! * uses the technique SmokeSwipe on LieutenantEagle's cow in retribution.... kinda *

I think those normal-attack-converting relics are going to become really, really freaky things that provide a different attack depending on where they are slotted, plus some skill-like conversion of same-bar-slotted techs to their element. It will be confusing and odd all around!
Sword
LieutenantEagle

Member #27

Aug 30, 2004 24:37

* uses the technique Steal on MintMan's cow because happy cows come from California *

I was just thinking, if the relics were converted to deal a 20-power elemental attack once before, or, even better, one time randomly during a battle, would it be easier, and would it be better? Just a thought.

LieutenantEagle

President of the SMFC
  Super Mario Fan Club

-----------
  Truth -->
  <-- Bush
Sword
MadGoblin

Member #2

Aug 30, 2004 9:05

Um... no? That wouldn't make much sense at all with the new system, Eagle. I mean... what?

There's no such thing as a 20-base power attack anymore (tho' I know that you prolly just meant the equivalent, and wasn't it a base 10 attack anyways, just a conversion of normal attacking? 20 was for low level spells).

And, even still, that's kinda what Ems is saying they are: attack replacement. It's just you choose what level of power you want it to be. As for that randomly working thing... what? I think that would cause more trouble in programming than it would save.

Pretty much, skills will need all that nutty programming anyways of where-what-slot'd stuff, so he might as well get his money out of it, no?

... what? Oh, he didn't pay any money for it... he purchased it in humans souls? Is that it... huh... okay then...
MintMan

Member #1

Aug 30, 2004 9:38

Yeah, that, and randomness equals teh suck. One of the things I am trying to do with the BD v4.0 is getting rid of as much randomization as possible.
  Hit chance and dispel chance are about the only random factors left in the game. Confusion was rid of, and I am not going to add more random thing if I can avoid them. Whatever effects relics will have will be static.

I am also pretty much set on the slot-em-in-the-grid-to-get-an-attack-effect-out-of-them. The other effect I am considering is related to the old same-element effect. These relics are considerably less meaningful if your monster already has the element of the relic on it, thus benefiting less from getting an attack of its own element as it may already have it!
  That is why I am thinking that if you have the relics element on your monster, all techs slotted in the same bar will become that element. This sucks for single-element monsters, but luckily, there are not many of those.

Also, before anyone says it, making these relics add the element to a monster's types would not necessarily be too powerful, but would throw battle predictions for the challenger for something of a loop, thus requiring a change of action so drastic that I dare not subject people to it.
LieutenantEagle

Member #27

Aug 30, 2004 11:34

Hey, what's up with this?

Hithop uses Devour. Asfaloth is scratched by the attack. Asfaloth's regains life.

Asfaloth's regain life? What exactly does that grammatically wrong line mean?

LieutenantEagle

President of the SMFC
  Super Mario Fan Club

-----------
  Truth -->
  <-- Bush
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
Apr 25, 2024 8:13 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022