Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Apr 18, 2024 12:28 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Battling Dragons :: BDv4 & Change Your Account Name

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
draggy1234

Member #97

Sep 16, 2004 15:25
Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I'd really want to claim that my ignorance of overslotting and about how non-direct-damaging actions aren't affected by strike and agility caused Hithop to lose the battle, but I guess that'd just be making excuses for myself. Besides, I'm sure MM would've changed Zig's AI to just use a whole bunch of degeneration actions.

Speaking of that battle, Hithop lost 2 valor! I guess this might very well be a new feature of valor for NDR... Crying

* uses the technique DefenseHit on for contribution to learning *

EDIT: (mechanics)

[Editted by draggy1234 on Sep 16, 2004 15:27]
Sword
MintMan

Member #1

Sep 16, 2004 19:45
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Yep, and Degening is just what Ash will have to do if he wants to win. I mean, putting aside that an Earth/Serpent stands almost no chance against a Wind/Beast, Degens cannot miss (and are luckily for Ash of the Poison non-uneffective Poison element), so are his best bet to use if he ever has the chance to.

Losing valor... yeah, creatures always lost valor when losing to someone of a lower level if they initiated the challenge; it has always been like that.
  Now, if I instead challenged you, there would be a big problem... um, did I challenge you? I.... don't remember.

* uses the technique LandSmite on draggy1234 for pointlessly using a technique and threatens a serious ban if he ever does such a stupid thing again *
Sword
draggy1234

Member #97

Sep 16, 2004 20:08
Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Yeah, I remember you challenged me. However, again my evidence comes from memory, which isn't very reliable. Maybe my battle log history would be better, if the challenger and the challenged are listed in a specific order.

Also, wouldn't sparring with someone to test out a new strategy clue that person in to your strategy? Then wouldn't it become less effective since your opponent knows what you are going to do in a real fight?

Finally, I'm curious about elements/phenotype advantages. When using a(n) (dis)advantageous action, what changes? Does the amount of damage change, the accuracy of the action, etc.?
MintMan

Member #1

Sep 16, 2004 22:13
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

No, the order is nothing to rely on... I'll look through the code and see if there are any valor loop-holes that allow the challengee to get out of the non-deducting valor.

Sure, your foe would know your strategy (if you challenged the same person both times, that is), but you would also know that your strategy worked.
  That, or you found out your strategy was stupid, and you know exactly what to change.

Elemental effectiveness increases the effect of an attack, not the accuracy. That would be stupid. Water doesn't hit Fire any better than a huge chunk of Earth or Ice for that matter. It does hurt it more, tho', so damage and lastability (in the case of non-damaging techs) are effected thusly.
  Non-opponent-targetting techs are of course uneffected; 'twould make no sense for Light healing to heal another Light monster less.
Sword
LieutenantEagle

Member #27

Sep 18, 2004 1:34
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

By the way, I've been checking up on my battle for the last seven hours now, and it seems like someone or something has timed out somewhere. I tried accessing from a different computer in case it was my cache, but even there FoxMcBlur is still preparing to...shouldn't have said that.

LieutenantEagle

President of the SMFC
  Super Mario Fan Club

-----------
  Truth -->
  <-- Bush
MintMan

Member #1

Sep 18, 2004 2:01

No, I just have everything on lock-down until I get some relic stuff settled. Something in the elemental transference I just discussed is being a bit buggered.

.... that, or the new Talisman functionality. I cannot really tell what is freezing it up.
LieutenantEagle

Member #27

Sep 18, 2004 16:05
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

So, how long will it be until the system functions again? For the first time in a long time I seem to be winning a battle, and now it's stopped. Bleh.

Incidentally, what is the new talisman functionality?

LieutenantEagle

President of the SMFC
  Super Mario Fan Club

-----------
  Truth -->
  <-- Bush
Sword
MintMan

Member #1

Sep 18, 2004 17:14

Well, maybe it will be working when I edit the reply to say "Okay, now it is back up and running."

Now it's relic level functionality that is givin' me grief. Boo.

Talismans now do what talismans are supposed to do -- protect. Fifteen percent protection, in fact, to all negative effects of the enemy slotted in the same bar as the one you slot the talisman in.

.... okay, now its back.

[Editted by MintMan on Sep 18, 2004 23:58]
draggy1234

Member #97

Sep 19, 2004 8:21

Oh, MM, if you do find any problems with the valor, I think LE experienced the same problem some while ago.

Another thing, how will the actions that target a group act when there is more than one opponent? Will each opponent receive the same effect/damage amount, or will it be like in pokemon when moves like surf had their power cut in half for each of the two opponents?
MintMan

Member #1

Sep 19, 2004 9:11

No, as was discussed many a time already, LE fell subject to the vanishing valor bug; his just flat-out disappeared and was subsequently corrected when he did not visit the main page and read the bug report as he was supposed to, but rather complained about it in a topic where the bug was already announced just five posts down.

Huh.... the Group and Field effects are not in the FAQ? That is probably because the RPG is not back out to play yet.
  At any rate, Group effects are two SLs lower than normal when selected to target a group, and Field effects suffer no loss (since they hit everyone -- user, friend, and foe alike).
LieutenantEagle

Member #27

Sep 25, 2004 1:52

Hey, do familiars gain the ability to learn one more tech per level, or is that something that is limited by whatever skills/techs they currently have?

Asfaloth just leveled up to Level 17, yet it still says that I can learn up to 0 techs. I know that some of the skills are only learnable when certain techs are learned, but...it's not letting Asfaloth learn any techs either.

Mayhaps I am just confused. Clarification, please?

LieutenantEagle

President of the SMFC
  Super Mario Fan Club

-----------
  Truth -->
  <-- Bush
Sword
MintMan

Member #1

Sep 25, 2004 2:32

It has been clearly stated that a familiar gets one new technique every five wins and every other level, not every level.

If you got one every level, the amount would be quite maddening. The average monster does not even have twenty seperate techniques and skills to learn; by level twenty, you'd be flushed.

That's no fun.
LieutenantEagle

Member #27

Sep 25, 2004 10:49

My bad. I didn't read that...and anyways, I haven't won once with Asfaloth yet.

LieutenantEagle

President of the SMFC
  Super Mario Fan Club

-----------
  Truth -->
  <-- Bush
MintMan

Member #1

Sep 25, 2004 11:37

Well, that is because you are not using any/enough Bans, man!

I mean, you could floor a Nidhogg much higher than your own level simply by using what Banish techs Monoceros has to offer -- and none of the Casts. Even the weakest Banishment floors one of the arcaners on account of their.... well, high Arcane.

I mean, I beat a Nidhogg with my Basilisk using Banishments, and it's Virtue is much, much lower than 'Ceros's.

The other thing I have noticed in general about BD is that higher level people are afraid to use lower level techs to an extent. They save up their energy to use SL 3 and 4, but to do so, end up having to use the same SL 1 techs again and again -- most often stat raisers that because useless quickly as that stat maxes out.
  Don't. Use SL 2 techs. The system favors them the most; that is why at any point in time, you can use an SL 2 from at least one of your bars.

Remember that four SL 1 techs, two SL 2, or one SL 4 all have the same total effect; using bigger numbers just takes more energy and gets it done faster.

Also, freakin' attack. Everyone assumes that since you have all these nifty stat-raising techs now, they have to be used. No. I have seen battles in which the stat raisers are used more than damaging techs. How do you expect to win without hurting your foe? They are just maxing out their stats very quickly and making a battle log a few pages long.

Here is how you know if you are doing something wrong: if a battle log is longer than one page, then you are probably an idiot. That, or your foe is an idiot for not killing you when he so obviously had the chance.

Healing is the only thing that bypasses this logic; it naturally extends battle time, but c'mon people! I saw a battle between two Hydras that has to have been going on for five days, maybe longer. Why? Because they aren't hitting each other! They just keep frickin' healing themselves! If one would frickin' just attack the other, it would win already as Hydras low Virtue makes it a subpar healer compared to its offensive capabilities.
boyachi

Member #92

Sep 25, 2004 14:03

The best thing is that if you see something isn't working, you can fix it midstream. That is what I like about the new system.

The New Dawn has risen. Are you the one to unlock it?
draggy1234

Member #97

Sep 25, 2004 16:09

Too bad grids can't be fixed in midbattle. I happened to make the stupid mistake of challenging before setting up my grid properly, so now I'm stuck with a not-so-ideal grid. Frown
Sword
boyachi

Member #92

Sep 25, 2004 19:38

Yeah, that does kinda suck. I mean remembering AFTER you start the battle that your oppenent is weak to fire is something you want to make sure you got a fire tech in your grid.

The New Dawn has risen. Are you the one to unlock it?
MintMan

Member #1

Sep 25, 2004 23:59

Um.... but, you can change your grid after challenging; you just cannot change it once the battle is confirmed by all parties.

And what do you mean it is cool how you can change your AI midstream now? You could always change your AI in the middle of a fight as long as AI has existed.

And of course you cannot change your grid halfway through a fight; that would change what your energy levels are and really mess things up. I mean, it would also sorta eliminate the point of the entire grid system what with only being able to bring twelve techs into a battle.

"Is he dead?" - Brak
  "He was when I killed him." - Zorak
draggy1234

Member #97

Sep 26, 2004 9:48

A question just came to mind. You know those secret techniques that were talked about in the first couple pages of this topic? Are those secret techniques eventually going to be available to you with enough effort, such as with a certain number of wins or battles? Or are they going to be dependent on one's skill in battling well, such as win percentage?
MintMan

Member #1

Sep 26, 2004 10:51

Well, first of all, they really are not secret; they just have requirements.

Typically, to learn a technique, you just need to have 100% mastery of a spell. Skills typically require that you have previously learned a certain technique.

There are other techniques, however, that can only be obtained after acheiving a certain number of wins or battles (or both).

There are yet other wild and wacky requirements, all of which make sense. No is simply denied getting these techniques; it is just currently impossible to fit the requirements to obtain such things as Skinfaxi as the features in the game needed to get such a tech do not exist.

As soon as they do, jump on the learning train. It's located right next to the reading rainbow.
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
Apr 18, 2024 12:28 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022