Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Dec 5, 2019 16:39 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Battling Dragons :: Asipatra is coming.

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
VinnyD

Member #9

Jul 29, 2004 24:00
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Despite lack of info, Asipatra will be made on the information given. No pics I'm proud of can be uploaded right now, but I am working on it as much as possible. Football is a bitch, preventing working late at night on it, plus making me get up early. I'm confident with the preliminary designs i may have an adult form available for upload by friday. This weekend im goin to Columbus so dont expect work then.

Remember, the Jabberwocky was made on even less info than this, but it never really took off. I'm hoping to make this a popular monster. I'm going to take complete liberty for the spells though because none are described. Expect sword wing other stuff etc.... Im thinking right now of stuff such as strengths weaknesses and element.
  Strength: Probably will be defense, it's made of freaking metal wht do you expect?
  Weakness: Tough to decide, but will either be magic or life or something, ill think about it.
  Element: Probably Earth, and its a bird. Not hard to figure those reasonings.

Madgoblin has seen preliminary designs (albeit s***ey ones that hold only a basic bearing on the final product) and it will look kind of like a cross between a eagle, a cardinal, and a sword. This is subject to change of course. Anyway, I hope to have a design i can be proud of up friday. If not, oh well.

The Official Man's Man of RE.

Complete with stubble and freeform jazz.
MintMan

Member #1

Jul 29, 2004 24:26
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I'm so torn! It is a new monster for BD, and it is being drawn well from what I have seen so far (although coloring may still be an issue -- you better not suck!), but Asi is also one of my faves. I don't know which side to root for....

Strengths would hard-core be defense. I would also suspect its strength and arcane to be pretty good as well. Since life is no longer determined by species, looks like you are going to have to blast other things, most notably virtue. Speed and virtue are also some pretty good candidates to reduce. Aside from defense, I do not see all that many stats of the 'Patra straying from the main.

Also, it's elements would not be Earth, but rather Embarrassed Metallic. Yes, Metallic is an element in BD. It just has not been seen yet before, nor does it really receive that much mention. It would obviously also contain Avian and, barring more description, Dark as all underworlders have. It might be exempt from this status, however, since the Hindu belief of evil is as a necessity Wavey Mouth So confuzzling!
Ice

Member #46

Jul 29, 2004 24:28
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Any chance that the GSC pokémon Skarmory was based off of this same model? I mean, a bird, made of metal... Well, okay, that very well mgiht be the only similarities. But even so, that's what I immediately thought of when I heard the description.

* uses the technique Bio to begin powering up for a beating *

°(o.o)° (c) Ethereal Enterprises, 2004
MadGoblin

Member #2

Jul 29, 2004 10:10
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

* uses the technique AcridBlazer on Ice since he was prepared for it and I don't want to disappoint him * Tongue

Ack. Please, Ice, don't make comparisons to Pokemon. I don't have anything against Pokemon, now, keep in mind, I just really hate when that happens.

It's like saying that Moltres was inspired by the Phoenix, Zapdos by the Raicho, and Arcticuno by the Bmola! As with that progression just listed, the ideas seem feasible at first but quickly jump into obscurity and far-stretched notions. Faia doesn't look like any breed of fire bird, Sandas is a far-shot from the 'Cho, and no one even knows, much like Asi', what a Bmola even is.
  ... I got off track, didn't I Nervous

Anyhoo, yep, I saw the pics. Keep in mind that I've seen a lot of submissions (okay, maybe 10 if luckly [or unfortunate! hrhr Big Smile ]), and this one didn't make me retch, which was a first good sign, and didn't blow. Sadly, tho', I don't expect to be looking forward to anything to happening any time soon. I mean, let's just face it: Ryu took how many months? Raicho, which I was making, was postponed a year before cancellation! Monster making is a slow and tedious process... unless you half-ass it like I did with KI and TW Tongue

Jabberwocky. The thing that should have been the muscle behind rising BD from obscurity to acknowledgement. A beautifully drawn monster with good stats, great attacks, and many adoring fans. So, then why is it the least popular monster of BD? 'Cuz people "don't like the way it looks". ... asses I wonder if any of those people ever say the picture of Jabby in Carroll's book, 'cuz it's dead-on!
  And, whatcha mean there was little to no info on the Wocky? It had an entire story/poem/dealie!!! That's ten times more than most other monster ever got! The most difficult thing about making the Wock was deciphering the drug enduced passages to make sense.

... wow, this is a long post Boggle

PBM! Fear!
Sword
VinnyD

Member #9

Jul 29, 2004 11:48
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

* uses the technique Aero-lance on Ice cause that seems to be the popular thing to do nowadays *

I am working on the adult form right now, but i mean a black and white version. A metallic surface will be a big challenge and I'll need time to work it into the design after I completely figure out the design. I'm expecting to put a lot of work into it and finish it more quickly than most monsters would be made, but I don't wanna half ass it.

I chose a good and bad time of year to do this because: 1. I've barely got any work to do and my job is slowing down, and 2. Football is picking up and two-a-days are like next week or the week after.

Gobbo, I don't know what context the poem is taken out of and if there is additional description in the book, but I've seen the poem and that doesn't say s*** besides claws etc etc. And Minty the types and weakness stuff you said was all good. I don't suck at the actual drawing, but coloring is going to be an issue so who knows beyond the black and white version.

Plus Ice, never talk about pokemon outside the REL forum, there's a reason i stay out of there Boggle .

[Editted by VinnyD on Jul 29, 2004 11:49]
Sword
Ice

Member #46

Jul 30, 2004 2:02
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

*shrugs*

Sorry folks, my big entrance to this whole "internet forum" thing came from Azure Heights (which will explain a lot to those of you who have ever been there) so you'll excuse me if I make mention of pokemon outside of this particular site's pokemon domain. As for the deal about making a reference, I admit that I would probably also have said that Moltres was probably inspired by the Phoenix before the GSC games came out. Now I would likely say that Houou/Ho-oh is inspired by the Phoenix, due to it's recovery moves.

I don't remember what else I was saying. Except that now that I used bio, I also forgot to learn a healing tech, so I'm going to have to find some way to curse myself pretty quickly after I do this:

* mutates a BlackIce *

°(o.o)° (c) Ethereal Enterprises, 2004
Sword
MadGoblin

Member #2

Jul 30, 2004 6:15

Recovery moves? You're saying Ho-oh is inspired by the phoenix because of bloody recovery moves! ... BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAHAHAHA!

Okay, this can be mentioned in the BD forum, for it actually has to do with monster. Okay, Ice... Ho-oh isn't inspired by the Pheonix. Oh, my no. Ho-oh is inspired by, shock of all shocks, the Ho-oh. Granted, the Ho-oh is a phoenix-esque bird, being all quasi-immortal and shining and stuff, but it's a beast all of its own. Probably inspired. Heh. That's like saying Drowsee "probably" came from the Baku, Ninetales "probably" came from the nine-tailed trickster-fox, or that new suck-pod "probably" came from the Kappa Laughing
  In those cases, there's no "maybe" involved, it's just plain using a mythological monster as a Pokemon.

Oh, I should have finished my thoughts before in my last post, but I thought it was long enough. That anger I had built up to the comparisons came from a place called Lugia's Dungeon that made the most pathetic attempts at mythological relation. Actually, I'm looking there right now for more bad examples, and they seemed to have added some since my last visit:
  (initiate paraphrased fake-quotes)

"Arcticuno is like the 'Bluebird' of Native American myth, even though it has nothing to do with ice!"
  "No! Arcticuno is like Quetzal(coatl) for both have nothing in common other than both being birds!"
  "Donphan is like the divine elephants of Indian myth... for no reason!"

Jeez, man... looking back, most of these things aren't even mythological, despite the site's section being called "Pokemon Mythologies". I mean, one page relates how Scyther is like a mantis (geez, I didn't already know that from its frickin' classification!)

Anyhoo, to close up the ranting I began before, I hate when people make comparisons (to anything, really) with no real foundation other than broad facts. Just because two things are the same type of animal with similar affiliations does not make them the same thing. It's using the details or specific info that makes them one in the same.
  Both birds of thunder? So? There's a lot! Duck-billed thing with saucer on head or using exact same name as? Bingo, same thing.

Er, so... yeah. I doubt (outside of probably only half the practicers of Hindu) that even a few thousand people could tell you what an Asipatra was. I'm sure Satoshi Tajiri never even heard of such a thing like just about the rest of the world. Notice how his things, if they do borrow from mythology, take it from Japanese. I wonder why that is Tongue

* tries to think of a way to get topic more BD related * Er... what is it, again, that metal is effective/ineffective against? I know Spirit/Metal/Poison/Plant/Mentalist/Marine have to exist in some way of interaction, and I'm sure everyone else would like to hear it... right? Dot Mouth ... right? ... D'oh
Lugiatrainer

Member #20

Aug 3, 2004 3:43
Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

On Jul 29, 2004 10:10, MadGoblin said:

Jabberwocky. The thing that should have been the muscle behind rising BD from obscurity to acknowledgement. A beautifully drawn monster with good stats, great attacks, and many adoring fans. So, then why is it the least popular monster of BD? 'Cuz people "don't like the way it looks". ... asses I wonder if any of those people ever say the picture of Jabby in Carroll's book, 'cuz it's dead-on!

Three cheers for the Jabberwock!

Smash those damned vorpal blades!

[Editted by Lugiatrainer on Aug 3, 2004 3:43]
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
Dec 5, 2019 16:39 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2019