Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Aug 22, 2019 22:32 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Battling Dragons :: New Ryu pics

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2 
Zedd

Member #76

Dec 17, 2003 19:19
Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I just uploaded a new pic of the Wakai, and one for two of it's spells. Ideas for the second spell of the carp, however, still elude me. anyone have any? 'neways, the pics are here(ignore my sig, i really should get rid of that Ryu thing on it...)
- Zedd i Randir, Lord of the Storm

Ryu
: 3 pictures done
MintMan

Member #1

Dec 17, 2003 23:52
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Lookin' good, I would say. It is quite fun to see how you are interpeting all of those abstract spells like Virtuous Rage.

Second carp? Reverse-waterfallin' is the only real thing I can thinks of for it. It would be nice since it would give it some damaging-ness.
Zedd

Member #76

Dec 18, 2003 24:45
Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Reverse waterfalling? you mean going up a waterfall, right? Well, I could make a move out of that... I'll see what I can do 'bout a picture...
  EDIT: Any ideas as to how to draw sleet?

[Editted by Zedd on Dec 18, 2003 3:50]
MintMan

Member #1

Dec 18, 2003 8:23
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

No, I actually mean creating a waterfall that goes up instead of down. It is how Japanese dragons travel into the sky. There is quite a few mentions of this. Really, it is nothing more than a water spout, but still.

Sleet, eh? That must be a bugger to draw. I would recommend anything but drawing little circles to be the small bits of ice. That would look way to awkward. You will want to put this on a lighter background for sure to give it a wintery-haze effect. I recommend drawing light and incomplete edges on the sleet, most probably leaving out their back edge (to give them a feel of motion). I would then select and blur a whole mess of them, leaving only a few in the foreground untouched.
  ... you can blur, can you not? What software are you using to touch these things up, anyway?

EDIT: Waitasecond! While admiring how much better the Wakai looks, I realized that it is exactly the same thing as the StormCaller -- or is it? What is the difference between these two stages exactly? And do not say size, 'cuz that won't cut it.

[Editted by MintMan on Dec 18, 2003 12:31]
Zedd

Member #76

Dec 18, 2003 18:11

The differences are: The stormcaller has the moustache thingo, the Wakai doesn't. The Wakai also lacks horns, and the things that come out at the arm and leg joints. also, the hair on the stormcaller is different, and he has a more pronounced beard. I know, it's quite subtle. I could do another stormcaller too...

I use photoshop 6.0. I don't have a clue whether that's ancient or not. I can do blurs; that's how I fixed up the clouds. Creating a reverse waterfall? I'll try that...

[Editted by Zedd on Dec 18, 2003 18:13]
MintMan

Member #1

Dec 18, 2003 22:15

Ancient is not the matter; if you have any Photoshop, it is good. Just so long as you are not using Paint...

If you got something like Reduce Graininess, use it. It does not matter if your picture actually is grainy or not; it just gets rid of scanning discrepencies.
  Also, after first sending the scan, play with the Brightness/Constrast, even if just a slight. Values from -10~10 can make a lot of difference in quality.

Yeah, I see the differences right now. Subtle, but good. I guess it is kinda hard to compare when you have three Wakai and only one StormCaller.
Zedd

Member #76

Dec 19, 2003 24:04

I have a thing that they call despeckle, which seems to do the same thing. Here's the water spout pic...
  (edit was fixing the link )

[Editted by Zedd on Dec 19, 2003 24:06]
MintMan

Member #1

Dec 19, 2003 24:23

Whoa! Lookin' good! Despeckle was just the thing that pic needed to get the watery-distortion in.

Despeckle actual does something different than other sorts of graininess-reducing, but the effects are only apparent in certain situations. Despeckle fixes the picture going from a unit cell of the picture to another at a time; one of the cell's edge can clash with another for a rather disturbing looking effect at times. I do not know if they ever improved it. Maybe they did.

At any rate, keep up the good work.
Zedd

Member #76

Dec 20, 2003 21:27

Here's a pic of the 3rd Wakai spell, downpour. I actually used despecle on all of the pics; the water-haze is the effect of a bit of not-so heavy-duty blurring. Well, It's with the other ones...
MintMan

Member #1

Dec 21, 2003 2:25

I am afraid that Downpour goes against the rule of over-computerized effects, namely, computer-generated lines.

I think it would look better, anyway, if you hand-drew in some sort of drop and used an effect to sorta streak them down or the like.
  That's just me.
Zedd

Member #76

Dec 22, 2003 24:13

Here are 2 pics for the stormcaller.
   I'm really getting tired of posting this link
MintMan

Member #1

Dec 22, 2003 1:20

You should just put it in your siggy 'stead of the other one.

Honour looks pretty wicked, as does the Vagrant Dreamer.
  Hey, are you drawing things that small or are you shrinking down to that size? And what resolution are you scanning them at (dpi)?
Blade

Member #99

Dec 22, 2003 4:55

Those pics are cool! I think I might start trying to draw the chimaera again...
Hallucinating Cleric: "I'll stop you! Take that.... and that... and TOWERS OF PROCESSED CHEESE!"

Battalon127

Member #25

Dec 22, 2003 9:18
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Excellent job w/ the Vagrant Dreamer. Kind of an Angel of Death/Nazgúl look to it. Just give it an ugly winged reptillian(?) thing to ride and send it off in pursuit of the ring-bearer...
Be quiet, Brain, or I'll stab you with a Q-tip! ~Homer Simpson

We're in for a long struggle, and I think Texans understand that. And so do Americans. ~George W. Bush
MadGoblin

Member #2

Dec 22, 2003 18:21

Oh, who isn't after the ring-bearer? That lil' freak stole me bunt cake!
  That and the One Ring, jerk! *runz*
Lair of Mad Goblin - Why be sane?

Rook

Member #112

Dec 22, 2003 21:32
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

You people are gonna give me a little bit of credit, right? That or a slice of pie will do. I looked up "wakai", remember?
How did it feel meeting so many trainers like yourself in your travels? What was awoken inside you? I want you to hit me with it all! Now, Bring it!

~ Steven: Ruby/ Sapphire version champion
Zedd

Member #76

Dec 24, 2003 24:34

Don't worry Rook, you get full cred for the Wakai name. I'd give you a peice of pie too, but I don't have one. 'Neways, Here's a retry of downpour. (Rain isn't the easiest thing to draw )
  EDIT: I draw them big and downsize them. Or I draw them small and make them smaller. Whichever I'm scanning them at default for my scanner/program which is... 300 dpi. I continuously mean to make it 600, but I always forget...

[Editted by Zedd on Dec 24, 2003 24:41]
MintMan

Member #1

Dec 24, 2003 22:46

Hmmm, make the background dark(er) and I would say that you gots a deal. Anything to make the drops look less visible. It is really hard to draw something that you do not want to show up. Hmmm, yes.
  Hey, I just realized that was all the pictures, was it not

Three hundred? Whoa! I only use one-fifty, drawing the pics two inches in size and shrinking 'em down fifty percent. You must gotta do a lot of ensmallening to get 'em down to there if you scan them at that size. I guess it would be a good thing to shrink 'em more, tho', since it would act as a natural despeckling.
Zedd

Member #76

Dec 24, 2003 22:49

Is there a way to decrease brightness/contrast in Photoshop? like a filter or something?
MintMan

Member #1

Jul 10, 2004 17:30

Well, the New Familiar Race has received two winners to it. Zedd has already adopted his new Ryu, but you still get to pick a non-holiday relic to add to your account. Gobbo, you get four relics since you have already made monsters for Battling Dragons.

Anywho, here goes the Ryu:

Carp (Light/Water/Marine/Draconic)
   Courage - Raises Virtue 20%
   Water Spout - 20 Power Water Casting

Wakai (Light/Water/Draconic)
   Bravery - Raises Virtue 25%
   Virtuous Rage - 20 Power Light Casting, Raises Strength by 10%
   Downpour - 35 Power Water Casting

Stormcaller (Light/Water/Ice/Thunder/Draconic)
   Honor - Raises Virtue by 35%
   Divine Fury - 35 Power Light Casting, Raises Strength by 15%
   Shardstorm - 45 Power Ice Casting

Okay, there he is. Zedd, I could not find anywhere throughout the thousands of posts about the Ryu what exactly its elements were supposed to be. Because of its strongest connections to Water, I know it was a shoe-in. Giving it both Thunder and Ice seems a bit excessive.

[EDIT] Somehow, I put an "a" before the IMG tag, so the Stormcaller pic was not showing up.

[EDITEDIT] Changed types

[Editted by MintMan on Aug 1, 2004 20:48]
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2 
Aug 22, 2019 22:32 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2019