Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Mar 28, 2024 15:29 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Battling Dragons :: Tournament Creation.

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
Ice

Member #46

Nov 3, 2003 22:23
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

With these Tourneys, you should either have an option so that we can create tourneys, or make sure that all creatures can enter in at least one at all times. Specifically, it'd be nice if you kept at least one uber-level tourney open at all times, as well as a midlevel and a low level. Open, of course, meaning that there is one scheduled in advance, not just occurring right now.

Of course, if you just let everybody make their own tourneys, then we wouldn't have this proble, because I would have already made the "Ice is gonna give you an ass whoopin" tourney and made a high-level hrim only tourney.
°(o.o)° (c) Ethereal Enterprises, 2004
MintMan

Member #1

Nov 4, 2003 9:48
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Shock! Intelligent posting! Have not had some of this in BD for a while what with all the one-to-three repliers we have been getting. This blutty forum is coming pretty close to the Classics.... feh!

Anywho, yes, yes to just about everything you said. However, also a big but to them....

See, there is supposed to be a tourney open at all times for just about every level. There are two things to take into consideration for this. The first is that I actually have to go to a script to make these things. This usually falls on a time when I am home or something and connection is very poor. What I needs are, like, tourney helpers or something that can make sure tournaments are available or something. You would not believe how long it takes just to make the monthlies, even on good connection. I think it has something to do with all the e-mail notifications it has to check for and send out...
  Then, high leveled individuals are difficult to make tournaments for. The reason is simple -- they are usually canceled. There was a tournament, November6, for you high people (not you, Camo ), but it got canceled. Why? Not enough people joined. Sure, there are enough of you to fill it, but you actually have to come here to join it. Therefore, you and Vision and all got left in the dust, and there is nothing I can really do about it. It is just the pyramid effect of BD: tons at the bottom and an itty-bitty at the top. If I could do something about that, I would.

And yes, people should be able to make tournaments, but how would I prevent people from making mad amounts of them and with stupid or inane requisites that give them the edge, such as the highest level being their own? Simple answer, actually. I make you work for them. Know those "points" you earn from tourneys? Well, they have their uses. Namely, you can "buy" stuff. Relics, tourneys, mystery items -- there is all sorts of stuff. If I can think of a little more, I am going to get that script up right away. Well, I also had to wait until most people could even afford items on that list. By the by, you have two running totals -- points earned and points spent, so that your ranking does not go down with your open pocketes.

So I hope that explains everything for ya Ice; I am a lazy bum.
SailorSassyStar

Member #19

Nov 4, 2003 12:34
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

On Nov 4, 2003 9:48, MintMan said:

Then, high leveled individuals are difficult to make tournaments for. The reason is simple -- they are usually canceled. There was a tournament, November6, for you high people (not you, Camo ), but it got canceled. Why? Not enough people joined. Sure, there are enough of you to fill it, but you actually have to come here to join it. Therefore, you and Vision and all got left in the dust, and there is nothing I can really do about it. It is just the pyramid effect of BD: tons at the bottom and an itty-bitty at the top. If I could do something about that, I would.

Silly MM! I tried to tell you about that. If you hadn't scheduled the Halloween tournament for the same time there would have been more people, or at least me. VoP probably would have made it to that one if she wasn't out of the level range (by one lousy level). You can play with the rules for the bigger creature because by now you know all of us, so you can stretch requirements to let people/creatures in. Other than requirements I think the only tournaments that you had to drop were when this whole idea was new and the time we didn't get quite enough notice ahead of time. Other than that...yeah...fine, you win

~*SailorSassyStar's VanillaFudge*~

Ash10

Member #3

Nov 4, 2003 19:09
Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I got fast net, I can volunteer to take complete control over your admin script and make tourneys!!!!!

or not....

But, I usually find tourneys for at least one of my creatures each time a new batch comes out.
NOVA Mod Team Leader

Gamers Bar and Grill Executive
Ice

Member #46

Nov 9, 2003 15:04
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

If I'm intelligent posting here, then I know why I don't regularly visit. I was simply pointing out some common-sensical problems with the current system. As for solutions, I have one for each of your problems, however unrealistic they may be. First off, for the high-levels getting cancelled, I normally only check this place about once or twice a month.

Obviously, I do have a solution to this: Have an option on the familiar's page so that whenever a tourney is created that your familiar can participate in, automatically send out an email to them notifying them of it. I may only check RE 1-2 times per month, but I check my email 3-4 times per day. Suddenly, all your tourneys are getting filled, because everyone knows about them.

The next problem, of slow connections, seems simple enough to me, though I know it isn't. Basically, you could write a package program that would work on a similar principle to SETO@home, namely that of using someone else's resources to do your dirty work.You set up a secure file or folder on your page for the program to check, and then the remote program would do all the setting up of and sending of tournaments stuffs to everyone, while using none of your bandwidth. When doing this, you could simply have 7 copies of the program, one to check the secure site for each day of the week. Obviously, I would only distribute this to the elite members of the site, seeing as how you could have security risks otherwise, but in theory at least, it works.

I may check back sometime soon here to see if you have any other problems. If you seriously want hlp with something of this sort, then try emailing me, or at least email me and tell me to check the boards.
MadGoblin

Member #2

Nov 9, 2003 17:18
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Um, there... there is e-mail notification. It's the ... e-mail notification for tournements. It's been out for, well, quite some time.
Lair of Mad Goblin - Why be sane?

MintMan

Member #1

Nov 10, 2003 24:02

Secure folder? Sending tournament stuff? I dunno how you think the tournaments work, but.... stop.

Okay, see, the problem is that my whole computer is slow. Whatever you are trying to say just... doesn't make any sense. Maybe if I had an unrestricted server, I could set up a program to communicate to it from a remote console, but the thing is, I can't. When you rent a server, they do not let you do that much stuff.

As for the e-mail notifications, they have been up since September 26th, just one month after DNA came out. There has been plenty of time to notice the link on the tournament page now. I mean, you do not even need to log-in to see the link, either. It is just always.
Ice

Member #46

Nov 10, 2003 14:28

Heh...

Yeah,... I knew that was there... I just, erm, forgot...

Also ignore the other stuff I was saying. Drugs + internet = bad posts.

Hey, at least it's prescription drugs, right?
MadGoblin

Member #2

Nov 11, 2003 22:34

Drugs plus internet equals bad? Well, that sure goes against the entire foundation of RE, don't it? ... don't it?

*sirens blaze in background*

Uh-oh! The coppers are on to me! Gotsa fly! *smashes into window* Note to self: cannot transcent through glass.

... yet.
dragonmonk

Member #129

Nov 12, 2003 18:42
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

On Nov 10, 2003 14:28, Ice said:

Heh...

Yeah,... I knew that was there... I just, erm, forgot...

Also ignore the other stuff I was saying. Drugs + internet = bad posts.

Hey, at least it's prescription drugs, right?

Wrong, RE + human = crazy evil demon!

hail the enlightend dragon battler,
  Dragonmonk

@@
  -#

MintMan's ugly face + human = error can not compute!
  @@
  -#

[Editted by dragonmonk on Nov 12, 2003 18:57]
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
Mar 28, 2024 15:29 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022