Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Apr 24, 2024 20:20 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Battling Dragons :: Help designing creatures topic!

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2 
Zedd

Member #76

Jan 28, 2004 3:55
Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Errr... Tempestcall? Arashido? No, Meteormancy's probably better... I remember hearing something about Astromancy, but that's probably got something to do with the universe rather than the sky...
- Zedd i Randir, Lord of the Storm
LeeTupper

Member #42

Jan 28, 2004 16:00
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

How does MintMancy sound?

Hmmm... Meteormancy is pretty nifty sounding. Might confuse the little ten year olds, but we don't care about the "Goku" named Nidhoggs, do we?

Wait... My favorite author, Ivan T. Sanderson did an article on it... that could be useful. *insert swear here* Nothing, after an extensive rereading.

Low Pressure, mayhaps? Maybe Precipitate... Meteormancy's the best by my opinion.
What is this arcane desert?- My current english teacher
  Do I dare ask why this looks like a potato chip?-my 7th grade english teacher, with a destroyed piece of homework
MintMan

Member #1

Jan 28, 2004 19:28
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Meteormancy is a good skill name. See, those other things would be what a specific monster's attacks are called. Meteormancy... that is not hurtful. It is barely anything at all -- perfect for a skill, and very universal, unlike that Japanese work. C'mon! Not every monster would have a Japanese word for their weather-control skill... despite the fact that only Japanese monsters apparently have weather-influencing abilities..... *runs*

And yes, Astromancy and Meteormancy are essentially the same thing -- divination from the sky, as is Aeromancy and a few other ones, like Chasmancy or something odd like that.
wyvernofab

Member #162

Jan 31, 2004 15:21
Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

can someone make a new affliction( affliction being something like poison)
cheese monkey
MadGoblin

Member #2

Jan 31, 2004 15:41
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Afflictions are actually very hard to think up (I know mint covered this somewhere before, but it was from around when this topic was started ). The problem with them is its difficult to think up new AND fair ideas. In fact, Mint is actually trying to cut out some current afflictions.

The problem with trying to think of new things is keeping them unique. For starters, there's poison. Poisons good, it drains hit points slowly. A instant status condition. Confusion is the as said affliction being worked out of the game, due to it being so dang good! So, what else is there? Well, you can't have any sort of "Stop" condition, for it would just be too good, but you can just lower speed and pretty much get the same effect. In fact, this is the case in most all instances: Lowering a stat = more convient way of status afflictions. Confusion? Disablility of the mind? Lower arcane! And so on.

And that, kiddies, is why you should stay off my lawn. Wait, what story was I telling again?
Lair of Mad Goblin - Why be sane?

MintMan

Member #1

Jan 31, 2004 19:01

There actually is a skill, Disarray or MindPower one, which is replacing Confusion. It will work sort of similar, but largely jumbling up between directions and teammates and not oneself, so it is a team-battle sorta thing.
  Also, Confusion is not being removed because it is too good; it is being removed because it is too unpredictable. If someone is inflicted with it, they use a spell on themself one-fourth of the time. If it adheres to this, it is very balanced; if it does not, the effects are catastrophic.
  So many times, it will never take effect once in a battle. Other times, it takes effect too much and is then way too powerful.

And yes, I did cover status conditions earlier, but now let me elaborate which things I do not have and why.

Berserk has been covered; it is far too powerful to make someone only use Attack, and not good enough to make them only use attacks that cause damage. Lowering Arcane and Virtue has been rules to equal just about the same effect; it makes the opponent detract from using Magic.
  Shrinking/Small does not need to be on its own; lowering Strength or Defense is all the same.
  A lot of people try to think of some really strange things, like catching the caster or foe on fire... that is just unnecessary. Increase your strength, arcane, lower something of theirs. The continual damage thing comes up a lot, and it is something that is just way to strong for BD. Poison works because it is not based damage; it is the same for all inflicted. Continual damage would become increasingly unfair if someone with a high attack attribute got ahold of it. In short, no continual damage; just do damage plain.
  A lot of people want to tag strange disadvantages to using spells. Don't. Just make the spell a little weaker and have no disadvantage. Usually, any disadvantage you come up with will be too much or too little, or it will not transfer universally.
  You never need a condition for "after using this spell, that spell will be better." Just increase the freakin' stat!

More... more... lemme look up at summadawuns Tupper had on 'Canto.
  Getting hurt by attacking the monster... most of these things can just be summed up into a spell that plain deals damage. Why have some SpikyBallRollUp defense when you can just SpikyBallRollUp attack? This is better since any sort of defense would normally have a stipulation like working against only physical attacks, thus drastically cutting the use of your monster. Nothing should ever imbalance your creature too greatly toward killing or sucking against a particular type of monster.

... huh, that is all interesting Tupper suggested? I was hoping for more.
  Well, anything that has anything to do with elements (makes strong against, unless against, something when used against) should never be in the spell. If there is some funky special effect, it will be hard-coded into BD:M4 as an frivilous addition and not carried over into any other game.
wyvernofab

Member #162

Feb 9, 2004 19:09

if at some point in a creatures life, somethng merged wth it, cld it b cnsdrd a stage?
cheese monkey
MintMan

Member #1

Feb 9, 2004 20:07

Um, question: when ever in mythology does one monster merge with another?

To tell you the truth.... NEVER!

Stages are anything that significantly change a monster permanently and push it more towards adulthood. This really sounds more like a power-up than anything else...

By the way, I shall use this time to announce that Khazu has expressed interest in making Sleipnir, Odin's EIGHT-legged horse that runs like wind!
Zedd

Member #76

Feb 10, 2004 3:34
Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Errr... Does that mean it's been accepted and I have to get off my behind and finish off Ryu before he overtakes me? I just asked this because it's not in the 'most recently accepted work' link...
- Zedd i Randir, Lord of the Storm
MintMan

Member #1

Feb 10, 2004 20:19

It isn't in the "most recently" link because it is not a valid image. That is a GIF, not a JPEG, and its dimensions are all off. In short, it is a sample image, not meant to be used for the actual game.

I do not think you have to worry about her getting ahead of you; she has not even begun to draw yet (so far as I know). Even if she did, what would it mean? I mean, if a creature got released before the Ryu, it would not mean anything negative for you. Well, it would ruin your status as the first non-brother to release a BD monster, but little besides that.
wyvernofab

Member #162

Feb 11, 2004 17:51

On Feb 9, 2004 20:07, MintMan said:

Um, question: when ever in mythology does one monster merge with another?

To tell you the truth.... NEVER!

technically this is a god and monster, but set and typhon fused this is how typhon is usually described (part god)
cheese monkey

[Editted by wyvernofab on Feb 11, 2004 17:54]
MintMan

Member #1

Feb 11, 2004 21:47

Typhon and Set(h) have nothing to do with one another. I mean, one is Egyptian, and the other is Greek. I dunno where you are getting this from...

Moreover, Set is very much humanoid -- only a doggy head makes him any different. Even Typhon usually has a humanoid body underneath his hundred-snakey legs and wacky top-parts.... or the body of a dragon. He was quite the oddity.
Camo

Member #5

Feb 11, 2004 21:57
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

On Feb 11, 2004 21:47, MintMan said:

Even Typhon usually has a humanoid body underneath his hundred-snakey legs and wacky top-parts.... or the body of a dragon. He was quite the oddity.

Well he'd probobly think you were quite the oddity too.

wyvernofab

Member #162

Feb 19, 2004 18:53

horus became good diety set killed him then merged with apep, said 2 be the egyptian version of typhon(!?) there is a website with plenty of similarities
cheese monkey
MintMan

Member #1

Feb 19, 2004 19:39

"Egyptian version of" is hardly the same thing as Typhon, YFFI. Why didn't you just use the actual Egyptian name instead of Typhons?

That way, we just coulda said "gods ain't monstas" and ended it at that.
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2 
Apr 24, 2024 20:20 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022