Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Apr 19, 2024 19:22 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Battling Dragons :: New creature, by somebody who isn't Minty, gobliny or grey??

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
VinnyD

Member #9

Aug 30, 2003 21:02
Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Yes, I have been toying with the idea for quite some time, the main problem is lack of artistic ability, lack of knowing original mythological beasts, and lack of opposite of lasiness. But, now the ones about laziness and lack of knowing beasts is over. Damn, art is next semester oh well. Anyway I think one I could use is fenrir that giant wolf thing. now that i've said that....ITS MY IDEA COPYRIGHTCOPYRIGHTCOPYRIGHT!! NOW YOU CAN'T STEAL IT!!!!!!!!! of course if somebody else could think of something id appreciate it. **I don't really suck at art, im just rusty, and don't have my own scanner.....
Teamsters, so lazy and surly..
  Homer

Check it, and give me tips too cause i suck
  http://angelfire.com/gundam/vinnyd/index.html
MintMan

Member #1

Aug 30, 2003 21:29
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Fenris, eh: Son of Loki, Bound by the Impossible Thread, Sometimes-Swallower of the Sun (Sköll really did it; him and his bro' Hati), Taker of the Hand, Slayer of Odin, Kicked in Half by the Giant Boot. Sounds good. I shall put him on reserve for you.

I think one other suggested Fenrir, but it was an idiot who did not understand that making a monster meant drawing it out, not simply suggesting for me to make it.

Lack of scanner? I am sure that can be skirted around somehow. You have to know someone else with one or have access via someone's work place or even school. If ghetto Clearview could have a scanner in it, I am certain your place and all of its "proper funds" will have one.

(If you are wondering why I call it "Fenris" and "Fenrir", it is because it is actually the same name! The final 'r' in the Norse language [which appears on a variety of words, including "Nidhoggr"] can be pronounced as an 'r' or a 'z'. Wacky, ain't it?)
Zedd

Member #76

Aug 31, 2003 24:49
Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I have been thinking about attempting a creature for a while... Problem is, I can't find anything at all on any creatures that I would want to make... (Ice or Light/Dragon or Avian)...
- Zedd i Randir, Lord of the Storm
VinnyD

Member #9

Aug 31, 2003 1:11
Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

yeah i know a few people i coulb bum one off, but not much is holding me back other than the fact that i have no idea where to start. It wouldn't be worthy of even going on my crappy site if i made it in pencil, but i don't know anything about painting or anything, i'll figure it out.....
  Homer

MadGoblin

Member #2

Aug 31, 2003 8:47
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Painting? Dude, ya don't paint these things. Just pick yourself up some colored pencils (Crayola's make due).

And, since people are blabbing about new creatures, Raicho, who was started about a month ago, has never progressed any farther! Hurray! A dead uncle and the lack-of-ability-to-draw-birds will do that to ya.

However, ... stuff!
Lair of Mad Goblin - Why be sane?

MintMan

Member #1

Aug 31, 2003 13:52

Paint. That's rich.

Most of all you need can be done on the computer. Vast, black backgrounds are filled in entirely using Adobe or the like (I only color a thick line around anything not black and blend that in with the paint-bucket black). Any graininess can also be taken care of using the Reduce Graininess option!

Usually, creature's look bad because of how they are colored or scanned, not because of actual drawing talent. Just look at the original BD pictures -- I have improved only slightly since then, but I colored them more heavily and computed out all the skeckles. That helped out quite a bits....

Oh snap I forgot about that post I was supposed to tell about all of those freaky dragons in! Recently a wealth of Wyvern cards have been procured off of eBay, and with it, a whole lotta ideas for dragons in BD! I should post some of the better findings in that other topic. A lot of the Eastern mythologies have lightish dragons, which will be a big help in these dark-filled days of BD (Fenris is not going to be helping much; in fact, it is just another Dark/Bestial with much skills just as Garm! Too many doggies!
VinnyD

Member #9

Aug 31, 2003 14:07

thats why I'm kinda reluctant to do fenrir/fenris because its pretty much dark overload. Plus dragons are too often overdone, I think the most original character here is the kamitachimacallit, but its hard to find original monsters like that. I guess you're right about that, cause i get frustrated by the fact that my pictures all suck off of mspaint, despite that I know mspaint is worthless .Oh well maybe i'll find a new creature that isn't a dog
  Homer

MadGoblin

Member #2

Aug 31, 2003 20:24

Here's a suggestion: Find a bird!
  The phenotypical circle is much lacking in the feathered friend department. Mainly 'cuz, my guess is at least, that birds are so hard to draw.

Other suggestions, tho', are just searching for odd things like mythological deers, pigs, skunks, bears, mice, frogs, trees, etc., etc...
  They are out there, too (with the exception of trees and mice, which i actually haven't bothered to look up )
VinnyD

Member #9

Aug 31, 2003 20:51

I like this tree idea, seeing as i just watched lord of the rings 2 towers. and the huge tree things are cool. So if i can find a tree, which i won't, then i'll draw it, which i can't, and
  Homer

Zedd

Member #76

Sep 1, 2003 5:04
Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

If I remember, I heard somewhere about an Arabic Ice-phoenix... Can't remember much about it, though... I'll go look it up, along with a few Eastern lighty dragons...

Edit: Hey, mintman, can you reserve me the Ryu? it seems to have connections, not only to light, but to lightning, water and possibly even ice...

[Editted by Zedd on Sep 1, 2003 5:44]
writer77

Member #4

Sep 1, 2003 17:46
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Are there any mythological turtles? I can kinda draw turtles. And I can kinda draw birds, too, but not the cool kind. I can pretty much only draw the wimpy kind. Not that it really matters what I can draw, because even though I can draw it, I can't draw it good. I thought one time about making the Zataran, but I couldn't find anything about it, so I just figure it's one of the monsters that I found in the ol' AD&D monster manual. And plus, the giant-island-turtle-that-spends-most-of-the-time sleeping probably wouldn't fit in too good with the other creatures.
Endless Horizon: http://www.angelfire.com/rpg/verdegym
  "It looks like I'm going to die as I have lived.... completely surrounded by morons!"
  -Bl. Mage
Blade

Member #99

Sep 2, 2003 3:18

Now that you think about it I think that a good idea is a drake forms go:
  Hatchling,Drake then a multi choice of Fire,Ice or Wind Drake.
   but this is just a suggestion.

Has anyone found a good website on mythical Creatures? here is a dragon quiz I found:

http://dragonhame.com (online Inner Dragon Quiz)

Blade Lord of the Sword
MintMan

Member #1

Sep 2, 2003 15:31

Um, very... special idea there, Blade, but a drake is really more of a non-descript winged dragon rather than its own branch of creature. Try and think specific (and those element things are just products of RPGs rather than myth ).

A good site on mythology is always Encyclopædia Mythica. The are cool because they let people submit articles to them about creatures, but they often suck for the same reason. I would give them some articles, but then it would be my work that was copied and pasted throughout the internet Everything myth site you can find just about uses their text word-for-word.

Turtles? There are tons of them, but mostly, they are like Zaratan. I dun think Zaratan is one of the widely accepted names for it. Just look up "island turtle" or something. There are some good things about giant turtles in a book I have; I shall post my findings here some time.

Man, with all these creature reservations, I am going to have to make an official system for it or something... like you keep it for four months since last active at Reality's End, and you can only reserve one creature at a time. Yeah, that'll work.
  I am planning on putting creature submittal in a form to make my rejections a lot easier; you should see some of the stuff I have been getting recently Worst stuff ever! Third graders need not apply!
writer77

Member #4

Sep 2, 2003 18:04
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Okey-Dokey, I'll do some research on "island turtle." And I wasn't really expecting a reservation for the mighty "turtle thing," I was just saying that was probably all I can draw... and I wanted to participate in a conversation for once, so I brought up the turtle. I drew turtles in art class last year... and they looked kinda cool. I guess.

Endless Horizon: http://www.angelfire.com/rpg/verdegym
  "It looks like I'm going to die as I have lived.... completely surrounded by morons!"
  -Bl. Mage
VinnyD

Member #9

Sep 2, 2003 20:56

NOTE NOT OFF TOPIC HE OPENED IT WITH ZATARAN; hey have you guys ever had that zataran's jambalaya, tha stuff is good, and it doesn't have anything to do with a giant turtle other than the name! Hah, isn't that gre.... What are you doing minty, oh no not the giant mallet of spam blockage!!! Please NO!!!!! ARGH.H...H....HHH.........UGH...............
  Homer

Zedd

Member #76

Sep 3, 2003 5:09

I can't do Ryu. MM, you can have the project (and the pic) if you want it. Sorry about the lack of warning, but I've been forbidden by my parents. once again, sorry.

[Editted by Zedd on Sep 9, 2003 6:00]
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
Apr 19, 2024 19:22 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022